Equipment Sizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
This is what I consider a dumb question, especially since I can't find anything in the searches I've done here...but it is more of an experience question. My plan is to go with rubbermaid coolers as I venture into AG. My concern is size. If my *maximum* target OG is the 1.090 area, how large a vessel am I going to need? Is 7.5gal enough or is 10gal the better bet? Or maybe a combo? A 10gal mash/lauter and a 7.5gal sparge water holding tank?

Well, it's not the size of your equipment that matters...

Assuming 70% efficiency, a 1.090 beer is going to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 18.5 lbs of grain, which is probably right at the very outer limits of what you could mash and sparge in a 7.5 gallon cooler.

Ok, thanks much. A 7.5gal sparge water holding tank will save me 15 bucks...

Going build something similar to:
5418.jpg

Yeah...I'd go with the 10gal mash/lauter tun.

There's some concern about having too-shallow a grainbed when you brew lower gravity beers in a big tun, but I think thats less of an issue with these round coolers.

7.5 gallons would again be a marginal size MLT for sparging a huge mash like 18-19 pounds, but there are ways to fudge. (Hold extra sparge water in an addition cooler, or heat more in a second pot, etc.)

I guess it's a question of how often you see yourself brewing big beers. I'd err on the side of optimizing the system for the beers you usuallly brew, even if it means having to fudge a little for your exceptional brews.

I don't see repeated heavy beer in my brewing future... Having more 170deg. water sitting in the stove in a pot then pouring it in doesn't seem like a huge issue.

Working this up I feel like when I first started brewing years ago...like a little kid. Wheee!!

I sized for my normal brews. On those rare occasions when I do a barleywine, I just make up the gravity with extract.

cweston said:
7.5 gallons would again be a marginal size MLT for sparging a huge mash like 18-19 pounds, but there are ways to fudge. (Hold extra sparge water in an addition cooler, or heat more in a second pot, etc.).

Oops--just to clarify, that should read: 7.5 gallons would again be a marginal size HLT for sparging a huge mash like 18-19 pounds

Back