Somethings eating the leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieT

Reaction score
Something is eating the leaves on my cascades.. I havent been able to locate any pests by examining the plants.. Looks to me like catepillar cuts on the leaves but I cant find any of the little buggers.. Any idea what it might be and how to protect the plants?

Also the leaves near the top of the plant are a little yellowish compared to the very dark green lower leaves.. I have been lightly fertilizing about once a week with a liquid fertilizer.. Do I need to step up, change fertilizers, or cut back?

Could be slugs, which are very good at hiding during the day.

Yellow is almost always an indication of a nitrogen deficiency for hops. I'd step up the fertilizer.

Fo-Toz!................

The closer, the better.

I was sitting here wondering what this "Fo-Toz" stuff was. Is it a chemical to help kill the bugs? Is it the name of the bugs? Is it a trap for them that you want to place close to the plant???

Yeah, I'm an idiot...forgive me. It's Friday, it's 80 degrees and sunny outside and I'm stuck in an office for another hour.

:mug:

Could be slugs, which are very good at hiding during the day.

Yellow is almost always an indication of a nitrogen deficiency for hops. I'd step up the fertilizer.

I'd have to go with "Fo-Toz" and more info first. Nutrient deficiencies aren't always a sign for more fertilizers. They can also be bogged soils and dying roots, grubs, or other critters attacking the root system therefore theres nothing to pull nutrient up with. No what I mean.

He says the leave look bug buffet'ed but I wonder how windy it's been there too.

1. Fo-Toz' (Ummmm, Photo's)
2. Soil conditions
3. Basic weather info

Quit the fertilizer, put a ring of cayenne pepper about 1/2 an inch thick around the base of each. Hops don't need that much help and you could easily fry them doing it once a week. Just let them breathe for a bit and don't water them with chlorinated water.

To protect the plants from insects mix a few drops of liquid dish washing soap per gallon of water in a sprayer and spray the foliage. Great for killing ants too...FYI

Thx Guys.. Sorry I havent responded faster.. Ill get some pics up this afternoon..

A few pics.. Both of the same plant..

hops1.jpg

hops2.jpg

Back