15 minute boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionalChaos

Reaction score
So I was watching the basic brewing videos, and they did an interesting experiment. I was wondering if anyone else has done it? The main guy was saying that alpha acids from hops are issomerized at about 30% during a 60 minutes boil, and that they are issomerized at about 15% level during a 15 minutes boil. Sooooo.. To get the same amount of alpha acids from 1oz of hops, you could just boil 2oz's of hops for 15 minutes. So the host brewed a few small (1 gallon maybe) and a large (5 gallon) using a 15 minute boil. He got more flavor and more bitterness from the 15 minute boil. Has anyone done this before? As someone that has a hard time scheduling brew days, a 15 minute boil sounds appealing....

Here is the show info:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=video

June 20, 2006 - Playing with Hops

Worth a try in two years when hops aren't 400% more expensive than they were in 2006.

Just realize that you are going to get much more hop flavor and aroma besides the amount of bitterness.

If you just add more hops at 15 minutes (double or triple the quantity), could you reach the same levels of bitterness?

If you just add more hops at 15 minutes (double or triple the quantity), could you reach the same levels of bitterness?

Yes, definitely. You will also have more hops flavor and aroma, due to the shorter boil and having more hops late in the boil.

It's called "hop bursting" and is fairly commonly done.

Yes, definitely. You will also have more hops flavor and aroma, due to the shorter boil and having more hops late in the boil.

It's called "hop bursting" and is fairly commonly done.

Thanks!

Gonna try a 15 min no sparge/no chill IPA this weekend using simcoe mosaic and citra :ban:

I am going to try a 20 minute boil this weekend:

2 oz Cascade at 20
2 oz Cascade at 10
2 oz Cascade at 5

~50 IBUs (6% ale)

I went all-grain last weekend, but today I did a 20 minute boil. My entire brewday was 55 minutes!

0: Add 3 gallons of water to the pot, fire the burner. Get hops and extracts ready.
15: Water is boiling. Add 2 lbs DME, 2 oz of Simcoe.
25: 8 lbs LME, 2 oz. of Citra.
35: 3 oz. of Simcoe with 1 minute left. Throw in the wort chiller.
50: Chilling down to 100. That is about as good as it gets in a Florida summer.
55: Cleaned up and fermentation bucket put into the freezer for final cool down.
Nottingham slurry added at 75'. Fermentation is at 65' for 3 weeks.

6.5% ABV, 67 IBU's. We'll see what it tastes like in 3 weeks.

~$32 to make. Sure, it is more than all-grain, but when you account for the extra time and propane you need for all-grain it helps justify the extra cost. With two small children, my time is important.

To revive this topic because it seems to me as a good alternative to a standard 60-minute boil and no boil at all.
I've done a dozen batches of No Boil so far, but I'm going to leave that way because I've found that beer is quickly losing quality. On the other hand, I have no conditions for 60 minutes of boil.
Is there anyone who experiences a 15 minute boil and what is the difference with the same beer made with 60 minutes of boil?

A couple of years ago, I looked into the idea of 15 minute boils for all my extract based recipes. My "short brew day" recipes are currently 2 hours long so a 30 minute boil fits in the time period. So I haven't made much progress / effort to get to a set of recipes that are 15 minute boils.

In my notes for 15 minutes boils, there are a couple of really good forum topics that I found:

This https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale.210253/ is one of the longer (and perhaps more interesting) "15 minute boil" posts on HBT.

Over on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/6loai2/anybody_have_any_luck_with_an_all_extract_wort/) which contains a recipe for a "60-Minute American Pale Ale". That post also offers ideas for approaching other styles as 15 minute boils.

For "no boil" approaches (similar to what the Basic Brewing Radio podcast is doing in early 2018), I have had some good results (citra) and some 'just ok' results (centennial, cascade, amarillo).

I may come back to 15 minute boils later this fall - but with a different approach. With 30 minutes for the boil in my "short brew day", I could do a 15 minute boil and a 15 minute hop steep. FWH may also be interesting.

I look for All Grain 15 minute boils.
No Boil faster loss quality and 30 minute boil produce too much vapor evaporation in my apartment.

First beer I ever brewed was a 3 gallon, 15 minute pale ale extract with specialty grains. One oz Amarillo at 15, once ounce cascade at 10 and one ounce mosaic at 5 minutes to flame out. Came out great. My buddy who does not like IPA or pale ale thought it was good and drank a few. Tastes great and not a hop bomb

Back