Carboy advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fadeux

Reaction score
Ok, a couple questions about secondary. A glass bottle vs a plastic "better bottle" pros and cons?

Also, what are the pros/cons of just using a primary vs transferring to a glass carboy secondary?

Not trying to start anything, but thanks for the link!

Nah, I didn't think that you were. I jst figured that, rather than have a dozen people chime in on every aspect of the pro v con debate, it would be easier for you to see the condensed version which handles them all in a neutral, handy manner.

Is it wrong that I want a glass carboy for "the mad scientist" look? From what I see flavor impact is not really an issue from container to container. Thanks for all the help!

Is it wrong that I want a glass carboy for "the mad scientist" look? From what I see flavor impact is not really an issue from container to container. Thanks for all the help!

Of course that's not wrong. I use glass because I view it as "the best".

I've also buried one 5 gallon carboy from dropping it from a couple of inches above a concrete floor. Fortunately, it was empty at the time, but it stilll made me very sad.

Fadeux said:

Funny I've had that thought before too.. or High School science class.. just need a bunsen burner and a couple pipettes.

btw.. I use glass carboys too. Never even thought about anything else. That's what I started with (because it was given to me) and its always worked. Buckets and Better Bottles could work just as well but I'm not going to spend money to change something thats worked all along.

I say go with what you like and don't look back. Plenty of other things to mull over..

Back