Mike's Lagerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spine

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just thought I would share some pics and info on an old brewing project of mine. I use the same fridge as a dispensing/fermenting and lagering. When I am fermenting (lagers only in the fridge as my cold cellar is perfect for ales) unfortunately my serving temperature is also going to be around 9 deg C. When I am lagering I usually lager around 2-3 deg C which also is my normal serving temperature.

Parts:
- Old Fridge
- 4-20ma Temperature transmitter 0-50 deg C
- A-B SLC 5/03 with Rack
- Analog Input Card
- Triac Output Card
- Motor Starter
- Fuse Block
- DIN rail, wire, terminal blocks
- Panelview
- Lightbulb socket

How it's all connected:
- Fridge dial set to FULL COLD. power cord is cut and connected to motor starter which is driven off of PLC output.
- Temperature probe is inside fridge and is wired to analog input card.
- Light socket (with 40W incandescent bulb) is wired to another triac output
- Panelview is connected to processor.
- Beer taps (couldn't afford real taps just yet so I used picnic taps) and kegs and gas distribution block are all inside fridge, CO2 tank and regulator outside.

To Do:
- Real taps & Drip Tray!
- Mount Panelview in Door
- Yeast bank in Freezer Part of Fridge

How it works:
The PLC program is constantly looping looking at the current temperature and the temperature set point. If the current temperature is below the setpoint, the 40W light turns on inside the fridge (I found 40W is just enough to keep a fridge in the garage in winter, -10 deg C ambient controllable). If the temperature is above the setpoint, the compressor (via starter) is activated. The program is also looking at ramp rates and will prevent the temperature from changing too fast in either direction by means of a intermediate setpoint that is calculated by using the user adjustable ramp rate. Through this setup I can easily maintain (within 0.5deg C) the temperature inside the fridge but also gently ramp up or down the temperature (at any rate I choose) to match a given fermentation schedule.

Because of the industry I work in, I had all of these parts available and free. If I didn't have all this stuff, I would probably use some sort of microcontroller such as the Arduino or possibly a cheap KOYO (see automationdirect.com) PLC and touch screen. If one is really wanting to get into automation, the KOYO or the PLC I used would be more than capable of running an E KEGGLE, HLT (with PID controls), Lagerator/Fermenters and possibly even a semi automatic bottling line.

Pics:

IMG_7005.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

IMG_7007.jpg

Really nice... is there just something more like a "plug and play" type temp controller maybe johnson control? I am not sure as to how to hook these things up honestly.

Really nice... is there just something more like a "plug and play" type temp controller maybe johnson control? I am not sure as to how to hook these things up honestly.

Yes, you can get by just fine with a cheap Johnson controller. It's plug and play and easy to set up. The analog model can be used for either heating or cooling. To change modes does require you to remove the cover and switch one of the leads, but that's a two minute task and very simple. I'm not sure if you can do that with the digital models or not.

The digital models have a Cool or Heat function. Right now my ranco is set on heat @ 67. When it warms up I'll switch it over to cool. Just a push of a button.

Looks good.

All that nice shiny electronics and pic-a-nic taps?

B

It's on the to-do list! :)

but seriously, for me to get the taps and shanks and ends here it would cost me around $160. All the stuff currently in here cost me 0$, except for the kegs and the gas manifold.

Love it, I would kill to be able to get my hands on a PLC system like that. I've always been fascinated by them.

Well done!

I was able to scavenge a MicroLogic from a job. Can't think of what I want to use it for around the house. I already have a LOVE on the kegerator and for the ease of use it's worth 50 bucks over writing logic.

But I 3rd or 4th the comment about several hundred dollars worth of temp control for picnic taps :) But I also understand the cool factor and especially the free one! Can't you run the PLC aruond back though to hide it? And the Panel view would look awesome mounted in the door. You could add some sort of float switch in the kegs and have it display how much is left in each keg right on the door and just use it as a label for the brew and ABV% ect.

I was able to scavenge a MicroLogic from a job. Can't think of what I want to use it for around the house. I already have a LOVE on the kegerator and for the ease of use it's worth 50 bucks over writing logic.

But I 3rd or 4th the comment about several hundred dollars worth of temp control for picnic taps :) But I also understand the cool factor and especially the free one! Can't you run the PLC aruond back though to hide it? And the Panel view would look awesome mounted in the door. You could add some sort of float switch in the kegs and have it display how much is left in each keg right on the door and just use it as a label for the brew and ABV% ect.

I like the idea of displaying what is on each keg!! That is a great idea!

But yeah, picnic taps really cheapen it out a bit but if we ever finish our basement I will probably get a proper keg fridge and throw this old beast out. I originally started this project to use the fridge solely for fermenting and lagering lagers but I eventually got tired of bottling and got the keg system, so it's kind of a combobulation of a whole bunch of ideas. As you can see, I wasn't going for looks by any means but rather functionality. I guess I could have mounted the PLC into a control panel and put it on the wall to clean it up somewhat. I guess my main idea that I poorly tried to communicate was the usage of old PLC components to create some nice fridge control with the possibility of ramping, which I haven't seen anyone do yet.

Back