yeast starter time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the Wort wait that long? I made the starter a just now and the wort will be coming off in about 3 hours. Its the first time i've had to make a starter, the smack pack busted and i lost alot of the nutrient. The pack is still swelling though. What do you think?

The whole point of making a starter is to increase the cell count. I've read that it usually maxes out in 12-18 hours. Very good aeration and a lot of agitiation will get you the highest counts the quickest so give that baby a shake every half hour and keep it nice and warm.

If your sanitization was good and you stir/shake your starter often, you might get away with pitching it late tonight - it really depends on how much yeast you lost in the explosion.

I did an 18 hour starter a few days ago, pitched the whole thing into a 1.072 wort and it was bubbling within 8 hours.

hmm, i'm having a hard time not worrying about my starter. Two reasons. First, this is the first time i've used my 2l flask, so the amount of starter i made (1 pint h20 and half a cup of DME) seems really small in the flask and doesn't appear to be growing. The second issue i am worried about is that the kolsch yeast (which was 'best used by nov. 2008) didn't seem to smell too yeasty and still doesn't seem to smell right in my starter.

I'm wondering if it's too cold in the laundry room for the starter to start. It's been in the mid 60s since i made it yesterday, and is wrapped in a blanket, but it just doesn't seem to be working like the starters i've made in the past.

Anyone offer any suggestions?

hmm, i'm having a hard time not worrying about my starter. Two reasons. First, this is the first time i've used my 2l flask, so the amount of starter i made (1 pint h20 and half a cup of DME) seems really small in the flask and doesn't appear to be growing. The second issue i am worried about is that the kolsch yeast (which was 'best used by nov. 2008) didn't seem to smell too yeasty and still doesn't seem to smell right in my starter.

I'm wondering if it's too cold in the laundry room for the starter to start. It's been in the mid 60s since i made it yesterday, and is wrapped in a blanket, but it just doesn't seem to be working like the starters i've made in the past.

Anyone offer any suggestions?

I usually keep my starters at room temperature. Just like beer, if it's too cool, they yeast are going to start off slow. With such a small volume, they're not going to be able to generate much heat on their own to change that.

thanks, mid to low 60s is room temp right now. I'll see if i can find a place to put it that will be warmer

Back