hops grow on trees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
i am considering a site for next years planting. i have several tall trees with southern exposure, and no limbs until 30-40 ft up. my question is, would the hop vines climb the trunk of a tree? i know it would be more troublesome to harvest, but i didn't want a gaudy tressel system.

I think it depends on the diameter of the trunk, in theory you could train the bines to wrap around anything but in practice maybe 3 inches in diameter is the largest that is practical.
maybe it would be easier if you put a nail in the tree 20 to 30ft up and used strong twine for the hops to climb on.

the trunks are definitely larger than 3 inches. more like 1 1/2' to 2' dia. i was trying to avoid the twine thing, but i may have to resort to that. would it have to be twine, or would a cable also work. or would they not climb a metal cable.

they will climb on anything the bine can wrap around and stick to, but the beauty of twine is that when the hops are ready to harvest you clip the twine and all the hops fall to ground level to be picked.

Back