anyone full boil on a kitchen stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
i was just wondering since i don't really have much of a garage. does anyone here do full boils on a gas kitchen stove. if so how does it compare to using a propane burner

Sure. I think the key is having a powerful stove (3K watts) and aluminum kettle instead of SS. Works for me every time.

Delpo

About how long does it take to get it to boiling

nice to know. i will be using a bigger pot looking for something 7.5gal or bigger. hoping to hit all grain before the end of summer looking around for all the stuff. i have been slowly adding to my collection.

I did my first batch on the ol' electric kitchen stove and it worked out good as far as I was concerned... Just took a little longer than I would have liked... And the one thing I noticed was there was a little bit of 'overly cooked' wort in a pretty ring that matched the burner element on the bottom when I cleaned it up... Used a turkey fryer burner next time and it was a little easier...

If you have trouble with a full boil, you can split the wort into another pot. You can also see how your stove boils 5 gallons of plain water at first and see if you need another pot. With the sugar in the wort, you'll need to be a touch hotter, but it'll give you a good idea.

I have a glass top (one of those easy to clean pyrex or whatever thingys)stove in my kitchen, im not sure how many kilowatts the burners are but I can bring 6.5 gallons of wort in a 12.5 gallon SS kettle to a boil with the lid on in maybe 1 hour. I am looking to buy a propane/methane burner at some point to make things quicker.

I do it all the time. I brew exclusively in my kitchen. Here's a photo of my "sculpture":
4189-DSCF0085-1.JPG

I do it all the time. I brew exclusively in my kitchen. Here's a photo of my "sculpture":
4189-DSCF0085-1.JPG

Yoop, which is your brew kettle, the tall one or the black one, and what sizes are they? And do you use a wort chiller indoors? If not how do you cool, and do you rack with an autosiphon into your fermenter or does the kettle you use have a ball valve?

I can't speak for Yoop but I use a wort chiller indoors and pour the wort from my kettle to my carboy through a stainless mesh strainer over a funnel.

Yoop, which is your brew kettle, the tall one or the black one, and what sizes are they? And do you use a wort chiller indoors? If not how do you cool, and do you rack with an autosiphon into your fermenter or does the kettle you use have a ball valve?

'topia does it the same way I do. Except that I'm a weakling, so I siphon my wort until the pot is light enough for me to pour and strain through the colander. I'd love a ball valve, but it works ok for me now.

The tall one is a 32 (or 36) quart turkey fryer pot. That is my brewpot. The black one is my old brewpot from extract brewing- it holds 5 gallons just barely. I use it to heat up water for my mash, and my sparge water. I hook the wort chiller up to my kitchen sink (just to the right of the TV).

Edit- see those fancy pink lines on the pots? That's nail polish marking the gallons and 1/2 gallons on both pots.

'topia does it the same way I do. Except that I'm a weakling, so I siphon my wort until the pot is light enough for me to pour and strain through the colander. I'd love a ball valve, but it works ok for me now.

The tall one is a 32 (or 36) quart turkey fryer pot. That is my brewpot. The black one is my old brewpot from extract brewing- it holds 5 gallons just barely. I use it to heat up water for my mash, and my sparge water. I hook the wort chiller up to my kitchen sink (just to the right of the TV).

Edit- see those fancy pink lines on the pots? That's nail polish marking the gallons and 1/2 gallons on both pots.

Ahh....

There's a 32 quart enameled canning pot at the hardware store next door for 30 bucks, that I've been considering.....It is short and squat like yours, so I figure it could fit on 2 burners if I needed it to. I was sort of holding out for something I could mount a ball valve on (my back ain't what it used to be)...hmmmm.

I used Flyguys setup to move to AG, I use my old SS pot to heat the sparge water, and a 7 1/2 gal turkey fryer Aluminium as my boil pot. I use tin-foil folded into sticks to keep the reflectix from touching the pot, and also cover the bottom and the top with tin-foil to seal in the heat, and to add some protection from boil overs.
I got a 200 gal/hour pond pump that I hook up to my IC to push tap water for cooling and then I move over to an ice bucket (My SS smaller pot filled with ice). I have the initial hot water going into my MLT that I use for cleaning water afterwards. (What can I say, I want Al Gore to be proud of me).
I can get 7.25 gal to a boil with this method, but it can still take up to 30-50 minutes to get there. Once I have my first runnings into my pot I start heating it. I do not do first wort hopping yet, I'm just too lazy to adjust the recipes for it yet.
Enough about me, It's possible, even pretty easy once you get the volumes down and well worth it.
Best of luck.

I routinely boil 7 gallons on my stove. It seems to work reasonably well, but I have noticed some DMS issues since I have to keep the lid partially on through most of the boil to keep it rolling. I have since made heatsticks to supplement the boil, and of the two times I've used them one was great and the other was a royal f*-up with scorched wort. Then again, that whole day was a royal f*-up, so that might not be saying much.

Back