Should bottle carbonation stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckinin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled a batch of beer in November. After about three weeks it had a nice level of carbonation. I've been putting a few into my fridge at a time to cool but leaving most of the batch at room temp. Some of the bottles that I put in the fridge more recently now seem to be over carbonated. Should carbonation stop at some point if I leave the bottles at room temp or is it normal that they get more and more carbonated until they are chilled?

They stop when the sugar is gone.

I have noticed the same effect though. I had a beer bottled for a month that was perfect (started brewing last September/October. When I brought the last few to a party for March Madness, they were overcarbed :(.

I had the opposite. I have a Winter Warmer that gushed. I still have a few left from almost 2 years ago. It appears they peaked in flavor about 3 months ago but also the last couple did not gush out of the bottle after opening.

I had an oatmeal stout that was a gusher. I added three 1/3 cups of corn sugar instead of three 1/4 cups. Anyway what I did to solve my problem was to pour two at a time in a gallon pitcher and once that settled pour a third and allow that to settle. Had to drink three at a time but I didnt mind.

Back