Tasted first bottled brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangecarr

Reaction score
Hi,

I tasted my first bottled brew last night and it was much better than I thought!

It was extract + steeping. I used northern brewer for bittering, and cascade for aroma. I also dry hopped with cascade.

It was only a 2 gallon batch, and I used 2 1-gallon demi-johns for conditioning. I used 12g hops for dry hopping in each demi-john. I think next time I will use a bit less.

Also, as it was from dry extract, it didn't have a strong malt character. My next brew will be a partial mash using pale and crystal malt, and then some amber extract. Will that give a more robust malt character (obviously it depends on amounts used..)?

need to know the exact recipe for help with the malt character. and if hte recipe called for corn sugar (aside from bottling/priming sugar), then it will really weaken the body and maltiness as sugar only adds alcohol...no flavor, no body.

and something like an extra light extract will have different amount of malty flavor vs. a dark malt extract.

You are correct in thinking that playing with steeping grains, or actually doing a partial mash is going to add more flavor to the beer. I'm still getting all the malt types learned so I can't really comment on your grain choices for next time.

Back