Muntons Export Pilsener kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
Hi All

The AG Duvel clone in the fermenter is ready to go to secondary and I'm going to dump new wort from a beer kit on the Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale yeast cake to get better value out of it ($30 for the smack pack!). The yeast cake contains remenants of saaz and styrian goldings hops.
The kit I have is a Muntons Export Pilsener and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to ferment it with the belgian style ale yeast or will the 2 styles not taste well together.
If it's ok to use the belgian yeast should I simply dump the wort on the yeast cake or should I remove the old hops first?

Belgian yeast and pilsner beers don't go together at all, really.

Belgian ALE yeast tends to be fruity and impart strong flavors.

Pilsner LAGER yeast is a completely different kind of yeast that is very clean fermenting and requires low fermentation temperatures to work properly.

I think the Munton's kit comes with a style-incorrect clean ale yeast that will come close to mimicking a lager without requiring the low fermentation temperatures. If I were you, I'd just follow the directions on the kit.

Thanks Yuri, I'll see what else I can put on that yeast cake.

The ingedients for that Duvel clone were right on the mark except for the yeast as it called for Wyeast belgian strong ale and I only had Abbey ale, so I just thought Belgians is Belgians and made it:D I hope it tastes alright.

Back