Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviking

Reaction score
I'm using a cream ale yeast (wlp080) and I added a gallon if water to my carboy and then racked 4 gallons from my kettle on top of the water after the boil...
LHBS guy said the yeast has a very minimal
fermentation. You think this is it? Or am I infected? Or did I just not stir enough?

Thanks in advance

image-3143688953.jpg

image-3674162186.jpg

By minimal fermentation did he mean size of krausen?
The amount of fermentation depends upon sugar content but should always have a krausen
Was this at pitching or days after?
Break material that makes it way in the fermentor will settle out when fermentation is done.

Johnny - He meant size of the Krausen.

s1080 - I pitched last night and checked it out this morning. So 10-12 hours afterwards.

It just kind of shocked me as I have never seen this before in any of my beers. You think it could be the water separating from the wort and floating to the surface?

Or am I just over reacting?

At 10-12 hours you're overreacting. Looks like the yeast are starting to do their thing. I wouldn't expect full krausen within 12 hours of pitching.

Wort is generally a homogeneous solution (minus the hop particals and proteins that can sometimes form) so your water can never separate from the wort.

Like the above posters I think the beer will be fine:D

It could be break at the surface. It happens to me on certain types of beer. My Kolsch does it pretty regularly. It has always dropped.

Methinks you give it another 24 hours at least before even beginning to worry.

Back