False Bottom Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
Yes I did post this in another thread. I would not double post if it weren't time sensitive. I am out shopping around for materials right now.

Ok, so I finally gave in and got a nice false bottom for my mlt. I was so excited to finally use it 2 weeks ago. Everything was going great in the brewing until the stuck sparge from HELL!! I had never had a stuck sparge period, let alone this beast of one. I ended up having to dump my mlt out completely and switch the false bottom out for the old braid. After some research it turns out I was not using the correct type of hose to run from the fb to the inside of the spigot. I was using a basic hose that you use to drain the tun.

So my question is this, what type of hose should I be using and where can I find it? Ideally I would use copper or cpvc but I am brewing Friday and the hose just seems like the easiest and quickest solution. Or if anyone can refer to a page on how to make a copper or cpvc connection that would be great as well. I’m not the handiest of people and don’t have a lot of tools at my disposal.

Thanks as always fellow brewers. CHEERS!

That sux! Have you checked out the high temperature hose they have at Lowes? You know the kind with the braiding inside of it and it's rigid as hell? That's the only thing I can think of using that you wont have to measure and cut and fit...

Thats what I was thinking. My only concern with it will be clamping it down tight. This stuff is thick as hell. Im all for using copper as a long term solution. The hose can be temporary just for this weekend. Need to find a nice "how to" page for the copper. I dont have the tools but know plenty of folks that do. Its good to know people.

you are talking about the hose that connects from a fitting/barb in the center of a rigid screen false bottom to the valve on the side of the pot, yes? use a nice piece of silicone hose. i have 3/8" barbs on both my false bottom and the inside of the exit valve, and connect them with a nice piece of silicone. no need for clamping or anything (as long as you you remember where it is and are careful with your stirring!).

Yes. That exactly what I'm talking about. The silicone works well it sounds like. I wasn't sure if it would cause off flavors or anything. Where did you picked it up? Home depot or somewhere like that? Someone has been very generous in offering me some but I'm extremely impatient when it comes to brewing. If I could run up the road 5 mins after work and get some I will.

On that note, have you had trouble keeping the falso bottom from floating while mixing in your grains? Im not sure if that was an issue last time or not for me. i couldnt tell because the damn cheap tubing I was using collapsed so quickly.

On that note, have you had trouble keeping the falso bottom from floating while mixing in your grains? Im not sure if that was an issue last time or not for me. i couldnt tell because the damn cheap tubing I was using collapsed so quickly.

Here is a recommendation from Jhall4 in another thread:

"As long as it's properly fitted into the tank the grain will hold it down and do all the work for you. If you're getting a gap around the edges, just take some high temp tubing, cut it open along one side to make a gasket, and fit it around the FB - should seal up nice and tight! "

Sounds like good advice.

Here is a recommendation from Jhall4 in another thread:

"As long as it's properly fitted into the tank the grain will hold it down and do all the work for you. If you're getting a gap around the edges, just take some high temp tubing, cut it open along one side to make a gasket, and fit it around the FB - should seal up nice and tight! "

Sounds like good advice.

haha, I just saw this thread about FBs and was going to offer the same advice!

I use half inch of tubing between the false bottom elbow and the bulkhead fitting. I think it is hdpe.

ForumRunner_20120919_103908.jpg

Bulkhead is a swagelok as-810-11-8. Male NPT on the outside, 1/2 of tube compression on the inside. Stainlessbrewing.com sells them. I have seen them on eBay quite often. Got most of mine for ~$11 each. The tube and elbow are from Lowe's. The elbow is also NPT, with a nut below the false bottom.

Where would I get high temp tubing and what kid do you recommend? There is definitely a gap around the side.

i found 3/8" thick walled silicone tubing sold by the foot on amazon.com, but im not finding it now... i would never use vinyl tubing for anything inside the mash (or anything to do with high temperatures for that matter...), no matter what the temp rating. i might be especially sensative to it or something, but i can always tell when a beer has been in substantial contact with vinyl. silicone is completely inert up to 500*F and ive never been able to detect it, even after boiling a foot of it in water for a while and then drinking the water. try that with vinyl and see what it tastes like...

i found 3/8" thick walled silicone tubing sold by the foot on amazon.com, but im not finding it now... i would never use vinyl tubing for anything inside the mash (or anything to do with high temperatures for that matter...), no matter what the temp rating. i might be especially sensative to it or something, but i can always tell when a beer has been in substantial contact with vinyl. silicone is completely inert up to 500*F and ive never been able to detect it, even after boiling a foot of it in water for a while and then drinking the water. try that with vinyl and see what it tastes like...

Well, since high temp vinyl is only rated up to 212 degrees, I don't think it would taste very good.

That said, sure you can go with silicone if you're really worried about it. It's easy to find on amazon (try aquarium products if you're not having luck elsewhere)

Got the silicone and its already set up. Next question is about securing fb to bottom of mlt. Another issue I had was while stirring the grains the bottom would come up. I have seen something about getting some tubing and cutting and fitting it around the false bottom. Any other ideas out there?

:) . It comes off the bottom when stirring the grains. Wouldn't call it floating. Just coming up from the force of the water.

Latest posts

Back