1056 & Sulfur?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
I recently brewed a PA/IPA I'm not happy with and am trying to figure specifically what I did wrong, there are a number of options.

The batch in question is the 2nd running's of a partigyle brew on 7/4/12. I batch sparge, so the Barleywine was actually 1st & 2nd running's and the PA/IPA was the 3rd & 4th runnings. Doing the partigyle was a last minute idea, yeast was on-sale ($5) and I had a bunch of random american hops.

Fermentables
50/50 Golden Promise & Maris Otter mashed @ 155F + 1lb corn sugar
8gal pre-boil, 5gal @ 1.056 post-boil.

Hops
60min = 0.6oz Summit
20min = 0.5oz Ahtanum, 0.5oz Chinook, 0.5oz Willamette
15min = 0.5oz Cascade
10min = 0.4oz Willamette
5min = 0.5oz Cascade, 0.5oz Chinook
Dry = 1.0oz Centennial, 1.0oz Simcoe (both leaf for 7 days)

Yeast
1056, without starter
Fermented very high, was crazy hot in Chicago and my carboy cooling system is a wet towel the shower. The sticker on the side was mid 70's for active fermentation.
FG is 1.009

I'm getting a sulfury or meaty aroma. My thoughts are either the high fermentation temp or using the 3rd & 4th runnings.

Thoughts?

Do you mean a sulfur aroma off of the airlocks?I have noticed this in a few of my 1056 batches, but this did not affect the quality (aroma, taste, etc) of the resulting home brew. I mainly experienced this in high temps as well. I wouldn'tworry about it too much unless it is very strong.

Do you mean a sulfur aroma off of the airlocks?I have noticed this in a few of my 1056 batches, but this did not affect the quality (aroma, taste, etc) of the resulting home brew. I mainly experienced this in high temps as well. I wouldn'tworry about it too much unless it is very strong.

My issue is actually with the finished beer. She is bottled & carb'd. I noticed the issue at gravity sample (pre-dry hop) and it will a little masked at bottling (post-dry hop), but not it is still lingering.

Back