Favorite EDC pocket knife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksb63

Reaction score
Just wondering what is your favorite edc. Just lost the gerber ripstop I've been abusing for a couple of years and now looking for a replacement.

I've been using a Kershaw Chill for a while. Nice steel for a very low price. Also very easy one hander. At less than $18 I won't mind when I eventually lose it.

I carry an EVO-jr most days. It's nice and slim and stays out of my way and was only 10 bucks or so. It doesn't hold an edge worth a damn though. It's my 2nd or 3rd Gerber and they all perform the same. I won't buy another.

I loved the Kershaw that I used for hunting until I lost it this year. It's been replaced by a Buck 110 that hasn't seen any use yet. Neither could be considered Every Day Carry though.

Kershaw Blur (tanto blade).

Note: In some areas of the country it might be illegal with assisted opening and blade size.

I've been EDCing an old model Spyderco Delica for 8 years and a 1st-generation Spyderco Endura Wave for 4. I carry one in each pocket. They are artifacts from the short post-parents-but-pre-marriage era when I could spend good money on good tools. I expect these to keep lasting for many more years.

I have a SOG trident that I like, but I also carry a benchmade spring action that is fantastic too..

Got used to how far down ripstop sat in pocket. Sog looks like will do same flash, aegis or visionary. Zero tolerance, blur, and benchmade's all seem to leave to much sticking out. Just hate to spend to much on my edc as I use as a pry bar way to often. The flash 2 with aluminium handle seems nice but how well does AUS8 steel hold up?

Kershaw Needs Work. it doubles as my work knife and my EDC. If its not that, its a Daniel Defense knife, made by Kershaw. Looks kinda like a Leek with a different blade.

In the coat pocket is an ESEE HEST.

Gerber L.S.T. Ultralight Lockback ... designed by Blackie Collins. They don't make them anymore but I've got a couple.

Queen Mountain Man lockback in amber stag bone with a D2 tool steel blade. It has a really beefy blade and locks up solid. I refinished the mirror polish with a hand rubbed matte finish. D2 is a pain to sharpen, but can handle hard work.

QU-3LACSB.jpg

Spyderco stretch and case Texas toothpick one for heavy jobs and personal protection the case is for letters, box tape, etc

Mines the good ol' Swiss Army knife - big and small blade, scissors, can and bottle opener, wine corker and awl.. I use it at least twice a day

I keep a free gifted keychain knife that I do actually use almost everyday for little things.

And, then I keep a leatherman multi-tool in the truck First Aide kit (reachable from drivers seat) and a Gerber combo box knife/ blade in teh wifes car.

Otherwise, I don't carry. Too many metal detectors in the world today and I found I had to leave it behind too often anyways.

I keep a free gifted keychain knife that I do actually use almost everyday for little things.

And, then I keep a leatherman multi-tool in the truck First Aide kit (reachable from drivers seat) and a Gerber combo box knife/ blade in teh wifes car.

Otherwise, I don't carry. Too many metal detectors in the world today and I found I had to leave it behind too often anyways.

Funny you should mention the metal detector thing. I bring mine into the bank and it never sets it off. As big as it is I would've expect it to but it doesn't.

I carry a leatherman skeletool. It replaced a leatherman xti and gerber covert folder that I decided to stop carrying for professional reasons. I am a big fan of leatherman.

Decided on Buck Vantage Pro cheapest s30v g10 knife I've seen. As I tend to loose or break knifes price important but I wanted the best steel so edge will last.

maxam said:
CRKT KISS for most days

CRKT Yeago for others

My issue with the KISS is that it has a left handed chisel grind with a right handed handle. Makes it really hard to cleanly slice through thicker items.

I have a smith and wesson special ops that I found a few years back on a christmas tree farm. It's a good knife, not super high quality, but it's good enough so I can carry it around and depend on it.

I love the Kershaw Ken Onion knives. I'm on my 3rd one. I lost the first one. Broke the tip on the second one. Just the very tip broke off and I was able to sharpen and hone it so you could barely tell it was off. Still bugged me though so I picked up another one like this.

The opening assist is great. That was the selling point for me. The satisfying click when you push the back knob to open it up.

KER1600.jpg

Received buck vantage pro today then had to spend half hour sharpening and polishing blade. Amazing buck wasn't shaving sharp new out of box. Doesn't seem to have the problems listed by others bad fit of g10 handkes off center blade. Hopefully s30v steel holds edge like it's supposed to if it does then knife is a keeper.

I bought my son his first pocket knife for Christmas, a S&W Special Tactical. I liked it so much, I bought another one to replace my 17 year old Gerber Gator 650. I think I picked them up for $15 a piece...

Been almost a month and edge holding up well even after multiple boxes envelopes and other abuse still shaving sharp. Buck has finally impressed me with a knife

For the last three years I have carried a Benchmade mini griptillian. It's expensive at $90 but it's a great knife, comes in a bunch of different colors and blade configurations. Right now I have a straight blade but I miss my first one which I lost, it was a black combo blade.

While Benchmades are expensive, I think the quality you get is worth it. I don't normally lose things very often, if I did I would carry something cheaper.

Back