Whirlpool valve location with a heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I purchased one of the Whirlpool valve setups from Bargain Fittings and im trying to figure out how far from the bottom up I should place the valve. I have a 5500 watt in there so I just want to make sure that this wont be an issue.

I think it depends on the size of your vessel and the volume that you brew - i dont see the heating element being much of a factor. For me, I generally brew 10 gallon batches, but occasionally i brew 5 gallon batches as well. So for me, i ended up putting the whirlpool inlet at about the 5 gallon mark, pointed slightly up. This way when the 5 gallon batch is complete and i have roughly 6 gallons of wort in the kettle my whirlpool inlet is still submerged. Likewise for 10 gallon it is completely submerged but due to it pointing upwards i still get a good whirlpool going. I could have also put the inlet at around the 8 gallon mark pointed down and achieved the same balance between the two volumes.

HOlter, that helped a ton! I use 15 gallon Penrose kettles and right now do only 5 gallon batches so I guess ill aim for it to be just under the surface of 6 gallons that way it would work with 10 as well. Cheers!

Back