Do finings kill yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have just found my brew sitting cold during fermentation but didn't notice till we had added finnings so wanted to know if we can bring it back or do I cut my losses and dump it

mykool said:
Have just found my brew sitting cold during fermentation but didn't notice till we had added finnings so wanted to know if we can bring it back or do I cut my losses and dump it

Wait...what? When exactly did you add finings? Before fermentation was complete? Typically finings are added during boil (e.g. Irish moss or whirfloc) or after fermentation (e.g. gelatin). If you add before fermentation is complete you will floc the yeast and they can't finish.

Wait...what? When exactly did you add finings? Before fermentation was complete? Typically finings are added during boil (e.g. Irish moss or whirfloc) or after fermentation (e.g. gelatin). If you add before fermentation is complete you will floc the yeast and they can't finish.

WRONG!!!!!!!!

Finnings work on the proteins in the beer. It has a negative charge, which binds the proteins which are positively charged. Although some yeast might have gotten trapped as the proteins fell out it wouldn't be enough to keep the beer from fermenting, or carbing, or whatever. It will have no direct affect on the yeast.

Even adding finings at some other point would not cause the yeast to flocculate. A change in TEMPERATURE would cause the yeast to fall out, but warming the beer back up and giving it a light swirl will get them going again.

And even if it DID cause the yeast to flocculate, they would just wake up again if you changed the conditions of the fermenter, swirling, warming or adding some more sugars.

Flocculation is not death, and as long as the yeast is alive, it can get back to finishing the job.

Back