high gravity beer: airlock or blowoff question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temptnmonkey

Reaction score
if you had a 3 gallon batch at about 1.080 OG in a 5 gallon carboy with traditional sized WLP001 starter, would you even bother using an airlock to start with and go straight for blowoff?

3 gallons in what size fermenter? Id start with an airlock personally. Just keep an eye on in. Also depends on your filtration method into the fermenter. Leaf or pellets? Irish moss?

Which begs the question...... What is the purpose of the air lock, why not just always use the blow off hose every time?

Sorry, I am a newb. But this seems odd to me.

I've found no need with 1.080 and under beers with 5.5 gallons in a 7 gallon ferment. I use hop bags and don't pour every last bit of wort in. Irish moss is key too.
Using a blowoff adds a complexity of parts which introduces risk of contamination. Only use one when needed.

@boostsr20: 3 gallon batch into 5 gallon carboy. I use whirlfloc (its an IIPAish 1.080 w/ pellet hops).

I'd prefer not to use a blowoff, because I only have 5/16ths siphon hosing on hand, but I'd also prefer the beer to not blow all over the closet too (or worse).

Back