Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, did a PM version and it is amazing! It's a little more of a malt bomb than I expected, but very very yummy. Thanks Yoop! great inspiration here

Bottled my first batch today.....FG was a bit of an overshoot at 1.012, but the leftovers in the bottling bucket tasted great!

Tasted the first bottle after only 6 days, because we're headed out of Dodge for a while and I won't be able to sample....VERY nice. Carbonation well under way, and already a very close similarity in taste to the Rogue product.

I brewed up this recipe recently with just a couple of slight modifications. Today I tasted the first one. On the one hand, it didn't exactly taste like Dead Guy to me. On the other hand, it was very enjoyable. This is an excellent dessert beer--it tastes like liquid toffee. So, thanks for the recipe.

Think this might have to be my next brew. Until recently, I was just buying Dead Guy at Costco for $24 a case, but that sweet deal is gone :(

I'm hoping to make this pretty soon but unfortunately I don't have a strong enough stove to do a full boil. Do any of you think this will affect the quality a whole lot? Should I just wait until I finally get a turkey fryer (maybe in December)? Thanks.

I got a bunch of saaz and hallauter could I use all saaz or replace the perle with hallauter?

I am understanding mash temperatures correctly? Mashing at 156-158 vs. 150 will produce a maltier wort?

If so, please explain.

I am understanding mash temperatures correctly? Mashing at 156-158 vs. 150 will produce a maltier wort?

If so, please explain.

Basically the higher the mash temperature the more unfermentable sugars you extract. Sugars that don't ferment out are, well, sweet.

I like a sweet tasting beer. How high can (should) you go to get the most sugar, fermentable and unfermentable out of the grains?

So why do kits say 150 instead of higher? To keep the sweetness down?

There are ways to have more unfermentable sugar other than by using the mash temperature. Try adding some lactose and/or malto-dextrin in at the end of the boil. These are unfermentable sugars.

Where is the best online place to order all of the ingredients for this clone? It looks like brewmasterswarehouse.com lists the ingredients but I want to make sure everything is covered. They have a few DGA recipes but I cannot find Yoopers.

The domain http://www.maltoseexpress.com/ is no longer vailid.

I found them at http://www.maltose.com.

I emailed Tess, we'll see what happens. Their quoted price for a Rogue Dead Duy kit is $52 (ouch).

I got all my ingredients from Midwest. Yooper's Undead Guy recipe is in the recipes section under "Amerian Ale." No way in the world I paid more than $20-25 for the ingredients for this brew, and it's VERY close to the Rogue article. I don't care if a kit was IDENTICAL, I wouldn't pay $52 for it. Maltose.com doesn't elaborate on the kit, just says "Dead Guy Ale $52," but where in the world they get that much money for it is beyond me......

Brewed this AG yesterday. Mashed at 154 and hit my OG spot on for 5.5g to the bucket! My Pacman slurry from the Stone IPA clone took right off. WhooHoo!

Yooper, what DME should I have on hand [to suppliment] should I not meet my gravity? Being my first AG batch, I am not confident I'll meet the numbers right off the bat.

Is there a 'generic' DME you go for as a backup for most beers?

You know, for last minute adjustments ...

Yooper, I've got a few questions for you regarding your recipe vs. CYBI Dead Guy (from John M. on-air), and Zymurgy Dead Guy (from john M. interview Sept/Oct 2003).

CYBI grain and hop bill:
10.58 lb US 2-row
3.57 lb munich
1.53 lb carastan

1.41 oz Perle (7.5% alpha) 90 minute
1.13 oz Sterling (7% alpha) and 1 minute (flameout)

Zymurgy:
8.0 lb Great Western 2-row pale malt
2.0 lb Munich malt
1.0 lb 15-L Crystal malt

1.0 oz Perle pellet (8% alpha) 90 minute
0.5 oz Sazz pellet (4.3 alpha) 10 minute

Yoopers DGA clone (brewmasterswarehouse.com):
10 lb Crisp Maris Otter
01 lb Caramel Munich
01 lb Weyermann Munich Type II
0.8 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 40

1.50 oz Perle pellets (60, 30, and 5 minute)
.25 oz Saaz pellets (5 minutes)

Can you tell me how your recipe differs from the these two? Are the grains interchangable?

Will the end-results be the same or differ in taste, body, and character?

To add to my confusion, Beer Captured lists this recipe:

9.75 lb US 2-row
12 oz. dextrin malt
13 oz. Cara Munich
13 oz. German Munich
7 oz. US Crystal 40L

7/8 oz Perle (7%AA @ 60)
1/4 oz Perle (7%AA @ 15)
1/4 oz Saaz (4%AA @15)

Just wanted to chime in here to say that I brewed up the PM version of this back in September using some captured Pacman combined with WLP 001 (grew them separately, then pitched them together)

It turned out AMAZING and since I'm down to my last couple bottles I'm going to brew up a 4 ga. version of Yooper's AG recipe this weekend. (4 ga. is the max size I can do AG because of equipment limitations)

The PM was malty, a bit spicy, and entirely delicious - just about perfect (even the BMC-loving boyfriend loves it).

Update: I left my Yooper AG Dead Guy clone in the primary bucket for 3 weeks which took it from 1.067 to 1.012 - gotta love that Pacman. I cold crashed it overnight and it has been on the gas for a week. I keep sneaking a half-pint every few days b/c I can - it is shaping up to be a tasty brew. I echo Mermaid with the hint of spice and tasty malt. My buddy that puts a dent in my homebrew doesn't care for Dead Guy - so this might become a regular!

Thanks, Yoop!

This is going to sound like a really dumb question. But, where can I get all these ingredients in one place? I have check LHBS and both Northern and Midwest and no one seems to have everything I need. I have made two batches and I think I will try this one as my fourth.

I made this beer (and it turned out damn good, BTW!) from ingredients I purchased, all at Midwest last Fall. Don't have any idea what the issue might be at this time.

This is going to sound like a really dumb question. But, where can I get all these ingredients in one place? I have check LHBS and both Northern and Midwest and no one seems to have everything I need. I have made two batches and I think I will try this one as my fourth.

Brewmasters Warehouse is where I bought my ingredients.

Link to AG recipe, just add it to your cart and checkout.
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/113d4ee6/

Thanks for your help guys. Turns out, my LHBS doesn't have EVERYTHING online like I thought they would. I think they have every I need. They don't have XLDME so I'll just use the LME and DME combo.

Yup, Brewmasters Warehouse. I picked up my Yoopers Dead Guy all grain clone this morning. The prices are great.

Yooper - I am ready to dive into your Dead Guy clone. The question I have is strike water for the mash.

I have a 5 gallon and 10 gallon converted Rubbermaid cooler for the tun and will probably go with the 10 gallon for this one.

To keep things simple, the grains will be in a large voile bag.

Now to the mash ... do you suggest I heat the bagged grains and water in the pot, then transfer the bag and the water to the tun?

Or should I pre-heat the tun, put the bagged grains in the tun, then transfer the water from kettle to tun? Opting for the second method, what temp should I bring the water up to before transferring?

Regardless of method, I want 152 to 154 mash temps.

I've never done brew in a bag (BIAB) so I have no idea the procedure. I know they seem to use more water in the mash, but I don't know any of the details.

Well, it's just really mash in a bag. I don't plan on doing the full BIAB for this.

Let's forego the bag for a moment, if you were mashing in a cooler, what would your process be for this clone?

Also, your recipe on Brewmasters.com, is this the latest version or have there been tweaks since then?

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/68a71221/yooper-dead-guy-clone

I haven't changed the original recipe at all.

I mash this beer the same way I mash every beer- generally 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. I use a mash temp of about 156 for this beer- as I want it to have a full body.

I sparge up to my boil volume.

I always preheat my cooler, and then strike with a temperature difference of 11 degrees. For a 156 mash them, that's 167.

Yooper - I'm confused ...

One recipe is (posted here):
11.0 lb Maris Otter Pale
1.25 lb Caramunich® TYPE I
1.25 lb Munich Malt
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L

And the one on Brewmasters Warehouse is:
10 lbs Crisp Maris Otter
1 lbs Caramel Munich
1 lbs Weyermann Munich Type II
8 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 40

Which is the real Yooper DGA clone? I ordered from BMW using the grist bill above.

Yooper, I just took a look at the AGDeadGuy.bsm you posted on page 1. That differs slightly from your original AG recipe (page 1) and the recipe on Brewmasterswarehouse.

I went with:

10 lbs Crisp Maris Otter
1 lbs Caramel Munich
1 lbs Weyermann Munich Type II
8 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 40

Your Beersmith recipe calls for an additional two pounds of Maris Otter and .5 gallons as the batch size.

Will the missing two pounds of Maris Otter make difference?

Yooper - I am ready to dive into your Dead Guy clone. The question I have is strike water for the mash.

I have a 5 gallon and 10 gallon converted Rubbermaid cooler for the tun and will probably go with the 10 gallon for this one.

To keep things simple, the grains will be in a large voile bag.

Now to the mash ... do you suggest I heat the bagged grains and water in the pot, then transfer the bag and the water to the tun?

Or should I pre-heat the tun, put the bagged grains in the tun, then transfer the water from kettle to tun? Opting for the second method, what temp should I bring the water up to before transferring?

Regardless of method, I want 152 to 154 mash temps.

This may help

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Back