Caramel Cream Ale recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
So I noticed in the orig. recipe it states:

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes)

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)

Yeast
WLP008 East Coast Ale

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 minutes)
A blend of:
4oz Lactose, disolved in 2 cups of boiled water
2-3 oz real vanilla extract
Added to the secondary and stirred.

A second version (the BOILING RIGHT NOW version) states that youre susposed to use >1cup lactose and 1 1/4 cup LIGHT DME during the priming stage.

Is this the 'preferred' method or shall I stay with the version above?

-=gp125racer=-

I did this recipe w/ 4oz Lactose added for the last 15 minutes of the boil, 1 split/scraped vanilla bean added for the last 5 boil minutes, and 1oz REAL vanilla extract added at flameout.

At bottling/kegging you have to hit it up with more lactore and more vanilla (if desired, I'd taste is first to make sure it's not too sweet for your liking). you'd obviously have to add sugar or DME at bottling/kegging also.

So, the simple answer is that lactose and vanilla are added AT the boil and AT bottling, along with some priming sugar/DME for carbonation.

Also, the original thread would be a good place for the question! :D

Thansk Firey Sword!

Sorry for not posting in the orig. thread, not sure why I did that. Anyway could one of the mods could delete/move the post as Ive got my answer, and I dont want to make a mess of things for ppl :)

-=gp125racer=-

Back