Starter water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all...

I just got a sweet stirplate score from work (pix later) and want to try my first stirplate starter.

That being said, can I use distilled water to make my starter? I am not looking for any minerals to help a mash and I want to make sure that the RA and pH in my water don't add any off flavors in the epic Oktoberfest i am planning (hope, hope, hope :D)

If you can give me the why's also, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

you can, but it's overkill. the total minerals in your starter (compared to your batch volume) are negligible and RA concerns really only pertain to your mash.

if you're really that worried about your starter affecting the flavor of your beer, IMO, you should be decanting the spent wort and just pitching the yeast. if you do so, the water you're adding to your beer from your starter is insignificant. this would have a more substantial impact on preserving your O'fest flavor than using distilled water in your starter.

but hey, if it feels good, do it.

Back