Cleaning a HERMS coil before first use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
I will probably finish soldering up my HERMS coil tonight, and hope to use it this weekend. What is the best way to clean it out? Pump PBW through it, or something else?

I just finished my coil last week, and did a lot of soldering on my coil. I had excess flux in it and really didn't know what would be the 'proper' thing to do, so.......

I put the thing in my kettle boiled it for about a half hour.
Then flushed it with ground water to get most of the softened flux out.
Then I hooked up the pump and ran the boiling water through the coil.
Then I added oxyclean to the boiling water and ran that through it, too.
Then one more flush with straight boling water, and called it done.

I caught the output of the coil in a bucket and saw that I got a ton of greasy flux out while doing this whole thing.

I used the coil the next night while brewing, but not in full HERMS mode. I just used it as a chiller, but I ran the wort through the coil and had the coil in ice water. The beer I made that night seems fine (no oily surface, nice big fluffy krausen, etc).

Just my $0.02.

I soaked my finished coil in Oxyclean (hot water for a couple of hours). Then soaked it in Star-San.

The Oxyclean did a great job removing the heavy grime and the Star-San did a great job finishing it. As a precaution, I repeated the process the morning of the "maiden voyage" (just to be sure!) using my march pump.

Cheers!:tank:

Back