Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTbrewer

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe (PM) for this clone? I am a big fan of this beer and would love to make some!

Uh, looks like the gravity readings on that recipe look a bit off, eh? Mine started at about 1.070+/- and finished around 1.022. The recipe didn't show a projected FG, and mine seemed high, but I hadn't worked with lactose, and since it is not fermentable, I figured it would render the FG high. Its contribution to the gravity was about 9 points, so, excluding that, my FG was 1.013, which seems reasonable. So I kegged it. It's sweet, of course, roasty, and awesome.

For what that's worth.

I realize this is an ancient thread but I'm reviving it because I have a desire (mostly my wife actually) to brew this beer. I've made the clone mentioned at the link above and that's on the NB forum (twice actually) and I don't find it to be an acceptable clone. My two main issues are that its roastier than I'm expecting and its a little thin compared to the mouthfeel of LHMS. For my next attempt, I'm going to drop the Roasted Barley to a half pound and raise the Flaked Barley up to a full pound. I've also never used the spec'ed yeast (American Ale II) and just use US-05 instead, always figuring they are close enough.

What I'm really looking for is feedback to see if any of you have made this and what you thought about how it compared to the real deal. Have you come up with any tweaks to improve it?

I just had about 5 pints of this beer this weekend and WOW it was awesome!
A cousin took me to a bar that has quite a variety of beers in Houston and i decided to give this beer a shot since it was on tap and most of their stouts were not. When i first tasted it i was like WTF!!! :rockin:
That was supposed to be the last pint of beer that we had that night and it was just the beggining of my amnesia. GREAT BEER!!! best stout i've ever had. I would like to see more comments from someone who has brewed this clone version... does it really tastes like it??:mug::mug::mug:

I would like to see more comments from someone who has brewed this clone version... does it really tastes like it??:mug::mug::mug:

Nope, not at all. Brewed the clone twice, once when I was new and again when I knew what I was doing. This version is still a good beer but is definitely too roasty. I've considered chasing down a better clone through trial and error, but haven't bothered with it yet. There's another beer here in NC by Duck Rabbit that's pretty close to Left Hands but I haven't seen a clone for that either.

Back