Ferm. taking forever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesutton3

Reaction score
I have a honey cream ale in primary since 6/30. There was roughly one lb of honey added to the end of the boil. The OG was 1.053 and it is still bubbling away. I took a reading on 7/13 and it was 1.016. Today it was 1.011.

The ferm temp was held to 64 degrees until this Sunday, I moved it out to make room for a new batch. It is currently sitting at around 76-78.

What can I expect my final gravity to be? How long should this take? I've heard honey is supposed to be painfully slow. And I have also heard that fermentations that keep on going and get to a low FG can be infections. There didn't appear to be anything funny going on in the bucket when I took the sample, and the sample didn't have any really usual flavors either. Any suggestions?

I have a William's Honey Cream Ale going since 6/29. Relax, I've done this one several times. 3-4 weeks then going into secondary.

That's the exact one. Does it ferment the entire time? And what kind of gravities have you been getting?

Using a flashlight beam on the side of the carboy, I can see some minute activity still and the airlock is still blubbing, albeit several minutes apart. With a reading of 1.011, I think I'll rack this to the secondary this weekend to get it off the cake.

Back