1.020 Curse Strikes Again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having problems with attenuation on a Stout that I brewed. Here is the basic recipe:

::::TEN GALLONS:::

Grain:

20LBS American 2-row
2 LBS flaked oats
1LB Chocolate Malt
1LB Roasted Barley

Hops:

3 OZ East Kent Goldings 60 minutes
1 OZ East Kent Goldings 15 minutes

Yeast:

4 packages of rehydrated Nottingham Ale Yeast. (2 packets per 5 gallons.)

OG 1.060
expected FG 1.014

I brewed this on 6/10 and current gravity is down to only 1.020 giving 66% attenuation. I checked the gravity on 6/18 & today and it was the same.

Seems a bit low for Nottingham? Especially since I pitched two packets per 5 gallons. My hydrometer is calibrated. I aerated the wort with a stir rod before pitching. Wort temperature is 70ish degrees.

I'm not too freaked out about 6 gravity points; especially for a stout. But I still want to be able to hit my FG....

Maybe you're overpitching the living crap out of it? I don't see the need for 2 dry packs per 5 gallons if this is only a 1.060 brew.

I believe (not sure) I read you can make a starter and then pitch it to restart fermentation

I have only brewed 7 AG batches and all have been with a starter all have finished at or below target FG

before you do anything warm it up 2 or 3 degrees if you can - this won't affect the flavour. Keep it in the primary for 2 weeks total. If it hasn't changed by that point it's not going to.

What temp did you mash at? If you were toward the high side, 158F you would create lots of unfermentable sugars. If you keep your temps lower, 148-152F, you will make a more fermentable wort and your final gravity will be lower.

Creating a yeast starter is a good thing for liquid yeasts. For dry yeast, a starter is not needed. Rehydrating the yeast is a good idea. 4 packets is NOT too much for 10 gallons. I really don't think you can OVER pitch yeast. Under pitching is far more a common failing.

I am currently enjoying a pale ale which started at 1.050 and finished at 1.010. Mashed at 158F. 10 gallons of final product pitched with 4 packets of rehydrated S-05. VERY NICE!

you only need 2 packets for this brew but overpitching wont hurt your attenuation to my knowledge...i find that odd however because nottingham is a champ and i have never had under attenuation. What was your mash temperature? How Long did you mash and did you check for starch conversion with an iodine test?

+1 on your mash temperature perhaps being on them higher side and leading to a fuller-bodied beer (more unfermentables).

you only need 2 packets for this brew but overpitching wont hurt your attenuation to my knowledge...i find that odd however because nottingham is a champ and i have never had under attenuation. What was your mash temperature? How Long did you mash and did you check for starch conversion with an iodine test?

In this episode of the Strong Brew podcast they mentioned that overpitching can hurt attenuation.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/bs_yeastrepitch03-23-09.mp3

I don't have any direct experience in the matter, but those guys seem to know their stuff. It does seem somewhat counter intuitive though, since some people do a "fast ferment test" (small volume of wort, high pitching, high temp) in order to the fermenablitity of there wort.

Fast Ferment Test - German Brewing Techniques

I shared the stuff on over pitching for general interest, I don't expect that is the problem. I suspect mash temperature. What were your mash temperatures? Did you mash the Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malt with the 2-row or did you mash /steep them separate?

I mashed at 153 degrees for 60 minutes and then a mash out at 168 degrees. I did not do an iodine test but I did check my OG before pitching at it was 1060...

This is completely anecdotal evidence but I pitched 4 packs of notty into a 10 gallon batch once.

The beer ended up at 1.001. Needless to say, I had no attenuation problems. It's possible you did though, but I doubt it.

Seriously - let it sit at a warmer temp for a few days, and see if the gravity changes. The mash temp is good advice, but it won't help you with this batch.

I just took the temp of the wort & it is at about 77 degrees. We just went through a "heat wave" in Seattle (85-90 degrees) and nobody here has air conditioning thus the warm temperatures.

yeh i hear ya. i live in vancouver, no ac either. but i have a crawlspace.

well if that doesn't finish it out in the next few days nothing will!

In this episode of the Strong Brew podcast they mentioned that overpitching can hurt attenuation.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/bs_yeastrepitch03-23-09.mp3
Im going to listen to this right now- i honest to god never had problems with attenuation even with a gross overpitch (whole cake etc).

I mashed at 153 degrees for 60 minutes and then a mash out at 168 degrees. I did not do an iodine test but I did check my OG before pitching at it was 1060...
I just took the temp of the wort & it is at about 77 degrees. We just went through a "heat wave" in Seattle (85-90 degrees) and nobody here has air conditioning thus the warm temperatures.

If 77 is plenty warm so if it didint drop from that you may just be stuck...as for a 153 mash temp the only thing i can think of is if your calibrations were off on your thermometer. If not then im out of ideas. 153 isnt high enough to make a highly unfermentable wort....

Yeah I'm going to go with calibration thermometer issues during the mash. time to rack, keg (Nitro!) & enjoy...

Back