Nerdy Thread ambout brewing literature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am really looking to expand the home brewing library, are there any books (other than ones by papazian, palmer, and zanishef) that this community would recomend?

Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers has been a great help. He sets the parameters for how to work on styles of beer. I look to Daniel's when I want to change something up in a beer style.

If you like British ales, Graham Wheeler's Brew Your Own British Real Ale shows how HB'ing in the UK differs from North America (had to say that being a Canuck :)).

I'd also be interested in other titles.

I've read just about every major homebrew book out there -- three stand out:

Designing Great Beers, How to Brew, Brewing Classic Styles

In my opinion, all the rest are on a step-below. Still worth the read, but not nearly as rewarding.

So I am really looking to expand the home brewing library, are there any books (other than ones by papazian, palmer, and zanishef) that this community would recomend?

I've really enjoyed Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. Lots of fun facts, tips on technique, and recipes for many beer styles, including historical brews.

I currently have:

The Compleat Meadmaker ( 7.5/10), Designing Great Beer = 8/10, Sacred and Herbal Healing beers (7/10), Brew like a monk (9/10), Wildbrews (7.5/10), Radical Brewing(10/10) and have just ordered Brewmaster's table.

I've really enjoyed Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. Lots of fun facts, tips on technique, and recipes for many beer styles, including historical brews.

Yeah, its def. a book you can come back to time and time again. Alot of fun.

Another vote for Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels and I need to throw in a vote for Greg Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer, not just for lagers and the info in there is great.

if you want nerdy they you don't want the homebrew books, most are not all that in depth. Go to the link Flyguy posted. I had posted a handful of books in pdf, and others are recommended.

Back