bottled my beer when fermentation was stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
sooooo. got a little cocky and figured i knew what i was doing. NOT ! my "smoked porter" was in the primary 5 weeks and i had seen no activity (i swirled the bucket at 4 weeks) so i brought it into a warmer room and still no activity (airlock). i went ahead and bottled. i decided after bottling that i wanted a FG for my notes just sure it would be close to spec. not even close. it is at 1.020 and in the bottle. i know how many mistakes i made as far as procedure goes on this one so i have learned my lesson.

what do you think i have in the bottle ? a really weak porter ? or worse bottle bombs ? what should i expect ??

A porter might be done at 1.020. If you post the recipe, we can see if it was done or stuck.

I've had several extract batches that just wouldn't get under 1.020, no matter what I tried. It was the extract, I'm convinced.

Your beer will be on the sweet side, but it may still end up being very drinkable. I suggest you occasionally sample a beer to test for carbonation. Once you reach your desired carb level, put all the beers from that batch into your fridge. This will halt further fermentation and prevent bottle bombs.

Also, 1.020 can be a perfectly acceptable F.G. if you made a big beer or used a lot of unfermentable malts (like too much Crystal for instance). Since you said you weren't even close to your target F.G., I assume this isn't the case. In any event, good luck and let us know how it turns out!

A porter might be done at 1.020. If you post the recipe, we can see if it was done or stuck.

I've had several extract batches that just wouldn't get under 1.020, no matter what I tried. It was the extract, I'm convinced.

I had the same exact problem. All my extract brews finished at around 1.020. As soon as I moved to AG that problem was gone...

just because you finished off at 1.020 doesn't mean anything. You have a lower alcohol than you would have if it finished lower, and a sweeter beer...whats the recipe and the AA's of the hops?

sorry..here are the details.

brewers best "smoked porter"

6.6 lbs light extract
1 lb crushed choc. malt
12 oz. crushed crystal 80l malt
2lb crushed smoked malt
safale S-04 yeast

fermented 5 weeks at 65 degrees

OG was 1.060 (target = 1.050-1.065)

FG was supposed to be 1.008-1.016

I can believe that. According to Designing Great Beers (Ray Daniels) the fermentability (apparent attenuation) of malt extracts can vary between 50 and 80%, with most falling in the range of 55 - 65%. In other words, a beer with an OG of 1.050 would ferment down to between 1.0225 (55%) and 1.0175 (65%). It may be worth while experimenting with different brands of extract as the attenuation varies by brand.

-a.

im such a freakin noob ! i think my blood pressure went down a few points after you pointed out my last two mistakes ! NO i did not correct for temp the sample was at 70 degrees not 60 ! i will sleep better tonight. i am going to relax and have a home brew or three now. THANKS !!!!:ban:

I was going to say that after 5 weeks in the primary, it should have been done fermenting. If your FG is 1.018 (adjusted for the corn sugar), then you are good to go.:mug:

Back