?'s on BM's - SWMBO Slayer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profarm

Reaction score
I went to the LHBS and to get the stuff for BM's SWMBO Slayer...Well the original recipe calls for Belgian Wit WLP400, they did not have that so I settled on WLP550 Belgian Ale yeast. Will this work?
Also the willimente hops they had were 4.5%AA, but BM uses 5.5%AA. When I plug that in BeerSmith the bitterness is low for the style (13.something). Will it be okay if I boil for 90minutes to raise the bitterness?

The 90min boil wouldn't hurt AFAIK, but I don't know how much bitterness you'll get out of it. Probably not much, at least not enough to make up the difference. I've never done the recipe so I can't say how much the extra bitterness is needed.

The yeast is going to change the beer considerably. Belgian wit yeast is a specialty yeast, substantially different from the standard belgian ale. It'll be good but different.

I went to the LHBS and to get the stuff for BM's SWMBO Slayer...Well the original recipe calls for Belgian Wit WLP400, they did not have that so I settled on WLP550 Belgian Ale yeast. Will this work?
Also the willimente hops they had were 4.5%AA, but BM uses 5.5%AA. When I plug that in BeerSmith the bitterness is low for the style (13.something). Will it be okay if I boil for 90minutes to raise the bitterness?

The Belgian Ale yeast will work fine...though some additional esters may come through (fine for this style).

One of the characteristics of this style is the malty profile, so a lower IBU will not detract. Go ahead and do a 90 minute boil though and that will kick it up a bit. :mug:

thanks BeirMuncher I appreciate it...One other thing I got some rice hulls for the mash is that ok? and would I need any irish moss to get it as clear as yours?

thanks BeirMuncher I appreciate it...One other thing I got some rice hulls for the mash is that ok? and would I need any irish moss to get it as clear as yours?

I always use rice hulls to make the sparge easier and to improve my efficiency a bit.

The 550 doesn't lend itself to a crystal clear beer.

The other thing to think about is that the 550 is a more phenolic, spicy type of yeast. It will get you closer to a german hefe profile (clovy). IF you have a simple dry yeast, you may consider using that instead if you're not a fan of saison styles.

I posted this on the original thread, but it hasn't gotten a reply, so maybe someone here can help me. I hadn't seen a Partial Mash version posted, so I came up with this, so see what the experts (BierMuncher) think. 3gal boil.

MASH
1.0lb Belgian pale
1.5lb wheat (white wheat or red wheat?)
.5lb Crystal 10L
.5lb wheat flake
.25 lb caravienne
-------------------------------------
add 5lb Wheat LME

1.00oz willamette @60min

Back