I f'd up pitching yeast to starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I messed up..When i was pitching yeast to starter i spilled some yeast on the side of my growler only half the smack pack made it in...I originally planned a 2 step starter to get my pitching rate ..should i do a 3 step now?

How many gallons? That's a pretty low OG. One pack with a one step starter would have been plenty.

I was told to do a starter between 1030-1040..So i mixed 5 oz of DME to 1.5 L and i got 1037.. Starters are supposed to be low gravity so they dont stress the yeast and just enough to grow the culture..anyway the starter looks good today im gonna step it up 2 more times..Im making a BGSA so i need alot of yeast..thanks

I was told to do a starter between 1030-1040..So i mixed 5 oz of DME to 1.5 L and i got 1037.. Starters are supposed to be low gravity so they dont stress the yeast and just enough to grow the culture..anyway the starter looks good today im gonna step it up 2 more times..Im making a BGSA so i need alot of yeast..thanks

He meant the batch OG.

Belgian golden strong ale should be decent gravity (~1.085?) at 5.25 gallons.

You'll need about 300 billion yeast

Smackpack = 100 billion yeast (90 billion viable)
Spilled 1/2 = 50 billion yeast (45 billion viable)
1.5L starter on stirplate with half smackpack = ~180 billion viable yeast
Decant starter
1.0L step-up starter on stirplate = ~315 billion viable yeast
You're there in 2 steps

Based on small inocculation rate of initial step, I would give it some extra time to complete (2 days at least).
The second step may take 1-2 days, although with the smaller amount it could go quick.

He meant the batch OG.

Oh i thought he was talking about the starter OG..Im shooting for a OG of 1069 for the BGSA .. gonna dose with dextrose at high krausen hopefully get high attenuation and a 7-8% beer

Belgian golden strong ale should be decent gravity (~1.085?) at 5.25 gallons.

You'll need about 300 billion yeast

Smackpack = 100 billion yeast (90 billion viable)
Spilled 1/2 = 50 billion yeast (45 billion viable)
1.5L starter on stirplate with half smackpack = ~180 billion viable yeast
Decant starter
1.0L step-up starter on stirplate = ~315 billion viable yeast
You're there in 2 steps

Based on small inocculation rate of initial step, I would give it some extra time to complete (2 days at least).
The second step may take 1-2 days, although with the smaller amount it could go quick.

Sounds good to me thanks alot

Back