Sweetner aka simple sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would back sweeten with Aspartame, Splenda, or Truvia, nothing wrong with using the advancements of modern science unlike some might say. Some Belgian breweries do; nothing stopping you unless you plan on marketing under the arcanely derived laws of das fatherland.

Some people's palates pick out the "artificial" sweet taste of artificial sugars better than others. If you don't like the artificial sweetener taste in Diet Coke or other ubiquitous "diet" drinks, you aren't going to like it in your beer.

Do you happen to keg? You could cold crash in the keg and easily sweeten this with the same mint syrup used in most mint julep recipes. If you bottle, this probably isn't an option, as the backsweetening procedure for fermentables in a bottle is a real PITA, in my opinion.

If you don't want to add another ingredient, you could always mash higher to leave some residual sweetness in the beer...unless you're brewing extract. If extract, I'd go with lactose.

Lactose isn't all that sweet. I don't like caramel malt, but it's sweet. Mashing hot (156ish) and using a less attenuative yeast will leave more sugars.

I will be bottling. Im now thinking of just having a straight mint taste and not go too sweet. But this advice is great for any future brews! Thanks for the help.

Back