help with AHS Anniversary IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine is 2 weeks away from being done. I did brew the three hearted ale clone from northern brewer and it was gone before I had a chance to say SUCCESS. I am ordering one tonight from austin since they are giving 2 pint glasses with every order of the 20th anny beers.

I'v got one ready to come of primary. I'm going to have to rush it a little because my other IPA went empt as well as my stout and 3 crop cream ail. Im going to rack this in a corny with my dry hops, let it cond. for a week and put it in the frig. I'm going to prime it when I keg it and soon as it gets cool I'm going to start drinking it. I'm going to put another IPA on the yeast cake, and try to get a pipeline started so I won't have to keep rushing them.
The last IPA i done was a coopers and I had to rush it as well and it was a little green, I drank a few and decided to take it back out and let it age a little more at room temp, after 10 days I put it back in and it was great. I also have a porter and an APA in primary. I got my new order yesterday, so I'v got 6 more IPAs, and a Stout to brew, so I should be in pretty good shape in another month.

I made all kinds of changes.
-Added 8oz. of Dry Malt Extract to the boil.
-Used the 1oz of Cascade at flameout.
-Tonight I dry hopped with 1oz. Cascade and 1oz. Amarillo
-Also I made a big starter with some washed Wyeast 1469 I had.
This will be my first kegged beer. Should be interesting.

Im loving the kegging, (although I always bottle some swing top's)this ahs kit will be my 2nd kegged batch so im getting the keg o-rings in fresh shape, paintball co2 tank out, cant wait:mug:

I got my kits today from AHS, the IPA extract kit has 8lb ex pale extract and 1 lb crystal 75L malt. I like IPA but they seem to have a wide range of bitterness. this kit calls for a 60 min boil with 1 oz. of Newport hops at 60 min, 1 0z Falconer's Flight at 15 min, and dry hop with 1 0z of Cascade. It's supposed to finish at about 5.6% abv but I can't find the IBUs anywhere. from what I'v been able to determine I think I like IBU about 45. I am just finishing a keg I made from a coopers hopped extract kit and it is too bitter with a bitter lingering aftertast. With these hop additions can anyone determint the IBUs and how to keep it in the 40 range.

Although your question is good, I really don't think we should post a full recipe and hop schedule of a kit... especially when they give it to us at such a good price.
They work hard to come up with the recipes; by all means, if you want it, buy it, and once you have the recipe you can re-create it as many times as you want w/parted out ingredients...

I also bought the mini-mash version of this kit, and can't wait to try it.
JM2C...

Although your question is good, I really don't think we should post a full recipe and hop schedule of a kit... especially when they give it to us at such a good price.
They work hard to come up with the recipes; by all means, if you want it, buy it, and once you have the recipe you can re-create it as many times as you want w/parted out ingredients...

JM2C...

I think if you think you shouldn't post a recipe, then you shouldn't do it, but if you ask a question about a recipe the first thing the more knowledgble brewers want to know is the recipe. You cant expect to get an opinion on a procedure from people who know without laying out the procedue.

JM2C...

I love ahs, but once you know your grain and hops, a recipe is a recipe.
20$ was cheap i agree, but many of thought up basic aipa's consist of pale base/crystal 40-80/citrus'y hops ect.. until i saw this kit i hadnt bought a "kit" in last 3 years out of 5 years brewing, the kit just seemed like it would start off in a good direction this time, and i will go back to buying 8-10 lbs base/1lb caramel malt/loads of hops from ahs.:D

Just tried mine after two weeks carbing - it's awesome! I was flying blind on this one, so I'm really happy with the results. Calling it my No No No IPA. (No recipe, No hyrometer, No worries!)
I did the crystal malt, and liquid extract per directions. As I mentioned previously, I added 1 oz of each: Newport at 60, 50; Columbus at 45; Falconers Flight at at 14, 13, 10; Cascade at 3. Then dry hopped with 2 oz Citra for 5 days. Times are approximate (within a minute or two)- I was just throwing in whatever I had. It was my first time dry hopping, which was a real pain when it came time to transfer to the bottling bucket (learned a thing or two there). Anyway, great aroma, a good bitter bite (but not overboard) - a very pleasant big IPA.

5.5 gallon batch to accomodate for the loss of all the dry hops

Extract/Grains:
I used the 8lbs Ex.Pale malt included in the kit
1.5lbs Pilsen LME
And the 1lb Crystal 75L Malt spec. grains

I used the Falconer's Flight and Cascade hops included in the kit, but added alot extra as you can see below.

Hops:
0.75 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @90 min
0.25 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @60 min
0.25 oz Columbus (14.20%) @60 min
0.25 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @30 min
0.25 oz Columbus (14.20%) @30 min
0.75 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @15 min
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight @10 min
0.50 oz Cascade (6.10%) @10 min
0.50 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo @0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo (7.50%) (dry hop)
0.50 oz Cascade (6.10%) (dry hop)
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight (dry hop)
0.50 oz Columbus (14.20%) (dry hop)
0.50 oz Simcoe (12.20%) (dry hop)

Yeast:
I used 2 packs of SafAle US-05 so i had to purchase one extra pack

I let it ferment for 2 weeks in primary and then added the dry hops for a week. Bottled this a week ago and this beer is amazing. OSG was 1.066 and it ended up at 1.013 (6.9%). With the initial cost of the kit and the added cost of the hops, DME, and yeast this beer totaled about $40 for 2 cases. Enjoy!

Extract/Grains:
1.5lbs Pilsen LME

I used the Falconer's Flight and Cascade hops included in the kit, but added alot extra as you can see below.

Hops:
0.50 oz Amarillo @0 min

Yeast:

I let it ferment for 2 weeks in primary and then added the dry hops for a week. Bottled this a week ago and this beer is amazing. OSG was 1.066 and it ended up at 1.013 (6.9%). With the initial cost of the kit and the added cost of the hops, DME, and yeast this beer totaled about $40 for 2 cases. Enjoy!

Sounds yummy, but this is thread about the anniversary IPA kit from austin homebrew.

HomeBrew32 said:

Extract/Grains:
1.5lbs Pilsen LME

Hops:
0.50 oz Amarillo @0 min

Yeast:

Geez. You hopped the bejeezus out of it. Looks like a yummy hop bomb. I changed mine up and used just the magnum that came with it and then did 2 more oz of falconers for flavoring and aroma. Turned out great. The extra malt you added was needed to bump the backbone up. What were your ibus?

Geez. You hopped the bejeezus out of it. Looks like a yummy hop bomb. I changed mine up and used just the magnum that came with it and then did 2 more oz of falconers for flavoring and aroma. Turned out great. The extra malt you added was needed to bump the backbone up. What were your ibus?

I'm not sure and don't know how to figure out what the IBU's were. Maybe someone can help me out? I am a fairly new brewer (6 months) and I am very impressed with how this brew turned out. You are right about the extra malt, it definitely gave it some more backbone.

I'm not sure and don't know how to figure out what the IBU's were. Maybe someone can help me out? I am a fairly new brewer (6 months) and I am very impressed with how this brew turned out. You are right about the extra malt, it definitely gave it some more backbone.

Some where in the forum there's a link to hoppvill beer calc. It's free and will calculate a recipe for you and tell you how any changes will effect the brew. I'v been using it and its a lot of fun to play with.

Brewing this up tomorrow. Only changes are to do a full boil and add 1# cane sugar to dry it up a bit.
OG 1.064
IBU 63.3
5.25 gallons
7 day dry hop after 3 weeks in primary

Noticed that my kit came with Magnum for bittering. Also the recipe online now is different with 9# LME and 1.25 steeping grains and a bigger OG. Did they modify for the sale you think? Noticed for a couple other AHS promo recipes too. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Back