Any thoughts on my unintentional experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmike

Reaction score
So it has been a year.

Original thread is here

I never saw the ferment happen, the carboy is chipped (fruit fly got in?) and 4 weeks after pitching on a yeast cake a white pellicle formed. It has never dissapeared.

So I finally got up the balls to pull a sample and taste it. It is at 1.012. It smells appealing. It is tart and faintly cidery, not unpleasant (short of the thoughts of my friends lab tests!) I admit: I did not swallow! I spit it out and swished with rum.

The orignial recipe was 5 gallons of a centennial blonde (higher OG though, would have to check my notes).

So.... do you rack from under the pellicle, then... ??? repitch yeast and add sugar to bottle?

Run away scared? :D

The pellicle is frightening. Just this white field. very scary.

Did you read the email my friend sent me? He was here and took a sample back to his lab. the word mycotoxin kind of freaked me out. It has just been sitting covered in a corner.

rack from underneath and pitch some fresh notty into it with bottling sugar?

And then throw away all that equipment! (or save it for other buggy brews i guess).

Back