Chocolate for a Chocolate Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo911

Reaction score
What is generally the best source of chocolate flavoring and when flavoring with cocoa powder, how much should be added (5 gallon batch) and at what point in the boil?

Best way is Chocolate or cacao Nibs (Google Chocolate Nibs but do NOT click on that 1st link at work) . Put them in the secondary for a week or two and use 6 to 8ozs.

I have tried cocoa powder but with poor results no lasting power.

Don't put them in the primary as the Cacao contains antifungal agents that may kill or inhibit yeast. Best case is a long lag time; worst is an infection.

Withteh Nibs in the secondary and with the aid of alcohol it will improve the flavor and aroma profile of your beer.

I used dutch processed cocoa in my chocolate stout. It wasn't super chocolatey, but it was as chocolatey as I wanted it (I only added 4.4oz of cocoa powder for a 5 gallon batch)

Best way is Chocolate or cacao Nibs (Google Chocolate Nibs but do NOT click on that 1st link at work) . Put them in the secondary for a week or two and use 6 to 8ozs.

Don't put them in the primary as the Cacao contains antifungal agents that may kill or inhibit yeast. Best case is a long lag time; worst is an infection.

Withteh Nibs in the secondary and with the aid of alcohol it will improve the flavor and aroma profile of your beer.

THAT EXPLAINS THE FUNKY FLAVOR IN MY CHOC STOUT! Good to know!

You can get cocoa nibs at most natural food stores. I have a bag left over from one of my wife's recipes that is going into my next chocolate stout.

Thanks folks. I'm going with a bit of cocoa powder in the boil and some nibs in the secondary. I'll keep you posted.

Back