fruit & dry hop in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcpowell33

Reaction score
i currently have a dogfish head aprihop clone (i am choosing to use mango) in primary. i plan to add mango to the beer as well as dry hop.

i was wondering if there is a specific order i should use, should i add them to primary, secondary, tertiary or should I add them together? and how long for each stage?

any comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Typically you would add fruit or dryhop to the secondary. However, you also would not want to dryhop while there is any fermentation, as the CO2 will carry off the hop aroma. When you add fruit, the yeast will go to work on the fruit's sugars, so dryhopping at the same time wouldn't work out so well.

So, you would ideally want to add the fruit in the secondary, wait until that is finished fermenting, then dryhop. Then rack to a tertiary for clearing.

That's alot of moving around and adding ingredients, so you'll have to be extra careful about oxidation/contamination.

A little late, but how did it turn out??....and recipe please!!!

On a scale of 1-10, difficulty. I'm starting to buy equipment, I want to practice to brew my own batch of a mango/apricot beer (inspired by aprihop)...so by Spring I might have the skills to do a decent brew for others.

Thanks!

Back