Ancient Carbination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
So i brewed "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead" and used bread yeast as the recipe called for. can i expect any carbonation by priming with sugar or would it be a better idea to pitch a little bit of yeast in the priming bucket?

Dave

JAO finishes with a lot of residual sugar and therefore, you would not need to add ANY additional sugars - bottle or bulk. The fact-of-the-matter is however, is that JAO - or any mead that finishes sweet - is not a good one to carbonate, unless of course, you are set-up for force carbonation.

- GL63

I know that Superiorbrew carbed some. You could send him a message asking about it- I don't remember if he actually posted this or told me about it. I do remember him saying that he preferred it still, but I don't remember any of the details. I never carbed mine, and I really liked it.

One of the things that would concern me is if you used bread yeast like the recipe called for- then the mead remains sweet. It's designed that way- so that the yeast is all pooped out. If you add fresh bread yeast, the alcohol tolerance will be too high for it. If you add wine yeast, then it'll eat more sugars, causing bottle bombs if you add that new yeast and then bottle. That's why I recommend asking someone who did this about those details!

I played with carbonating my first mead, it wasn't JOAM but used bread yeast. basically the bread yeast had the bun around 10% and I had to repitch it with lalvin 1118 to carbonate. I should have allowed the wine yeast to consume the residual sugars but made a guess that two carb tabs (1/2 normal rate) would be about right (FG with bread yeast was 1.001) and carbonated in a pet bottle. it's not the right way to do things but I was interested in trying out cold racking a carbonated beverage, which works really well BTW. it made sense to try new techniques with it instead of playing with something that was actually good.

as a side note, I was off on the two tabs and it carbonated rock hard in the pet bottle, which I vented off a couple times. the carbonation did give an interesting result, it came out pretty close to beer in flavour, at over double the ABV. :drunk:

Back