Tin Solder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I assume as people have some IC that has solder on surfaces that the wort will contact, that it is safe?

Also, I suppose you should make sure all flux is removed. I have seen some stuff about using steel wool, which is a good idea, what about maybe boiling the rig first to try and get any remaining flux off?

I see alot of people use a length of pipe and zip ties to space out coils, but would the zipties provide a place for bacteria to hide?

Any other tips?

As long as you're using lead-free plumbing solder that's safe for drinking water, it should be fine. It is ALWAYS a good idea to boil your chiller before letting it touch wort, whether you make it yourself or buy it. In addition to flux, there's likely to be grease and grime and god knows what else on the surface of the copper anyway, and boiling (especially with the addition of a bunch of vinegar and salt) is a sure-fire way to get rid of it.

As far as hiding places for bacteria, you BOIL your immersion chiller for 15 minutes. It doesn't matter if bacteria finds a little hiding spot, it's still getting killed by the heat.

Ah, ok. I didn't know you boiled it for 15 minutes. I clean and sanitize each time, but then put it in the hot wort.

So each time I should add it to the boil prior to cooling? How do zipties hold up to repeated boiling?

Meister Rivington said:
So each time I should add it to the boil prior to cooling? How do zipties hold up to repeated boiling?
Yep, usually I put it in at the same time I add whirlfloc and some late hops (if any) - aiming for 10-15 mins before the end of the boil. It's easier than using sanitizer, and does a better job.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use zip ties on an immersion chiller. I would not use zip ties on any part that will be touching the wort (or anywhere, for that matter, since the outlet tube of the IC will be extremely hot as well) unless you know that the plastic they are made of is safe at boiling temps. If you need to secure the coils in place or whatever, you could probably just as easily use some copper wire instead.

Back