Cold Crashing Secondary before racking..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to cold crash the secondary before racking it out in order to help drop any remaining yeast out of suspension. I will be kegging the beer so the yeast isn't needed for carbonation.

Has anyone done this, or is there any issues with doing this?

I always cold crash before kegging. If you have the ability to, I do not think anyone would ever recommend not doing it.

I figured it would be a good idea. I am trying to find a deal on a chest freezer that I can use. I want to start doing some lagers.

Would it be correct to not do this if you wanted to bottle? I am guessing not because there would not be enough yeast to carbonate..?

I would imagine your best bet would to rack as normal, prime and bottle, condition the bottles around 70 degrees for a few weeks, than cold codition a day or two and serve in a glass. When you cold condition the bottle, the yeast will settle and kindof stick to the bottom and you can pour(like decanting) the beer off the top with little yeast left in the beer.

Nosnum said:
Would it be correct to not do this if you wanted to bottle? I am guessing not because there would not be enough yeast to carbonate..?

You can. I have crashed to 32F for about a week and then bottled with no problem. I even cold conditioned a Kolsh for a month or so and it carbed just fine.

If you really want it clear, mix in 1 Tbs gelatin (dissolved in a cup of hot water)and watch the yeast leterally sink in 2 hours.

IT works for me:

ClearBeer.jpg

HappyFri_4.jpg

Sterling_Pour1.jpg

My understanding is to get the beer as cold as possible, like 34 degrees, boil some water, let cool then add gelatin. Pour into fermenter and stir.

Now my question is, how long does it need to sit before everything falls out? is putting co2 pressure on top a good idea? I am trying to fast track a beer to get it entered in the Nationals. I will probably rack off top portion into a keg and force carbinate it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eastside

I've found it takes several days to a week at around 32-34F for the beer to really clear with gelatin. Once it is done it is crystal clear like BierMuncher posted.

GT

Even if you don't wait long enough for it to clear, the worst thing that will happen (if you keg) is that you get a little gunk in your first pour out of the keg.

If you bottle, I you might have a little gunk in the bottle (but just a very little bit).

TL

Eastside Brewer said:
My understanding is to get the beer as cold as possible, like 34 degrees, boil some water, let cool then add gelatin. Pour into fermenter and stir.

Now my question is, how long does it need to sit before everything falls out? is putting co2 pressure on top a good idea? I am trying to fast track a beer to get it entered in the Nationals. I will probably rack off top portion into a keg and force carbinate it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eastside
Instead of pouring into the fermenter and stirring, I'd rack to a keg and add gelatin then. That's what I do now. Then it's off to the chiller, on the gas.

thanks guys, I am leaving it until tomorrow, which will be 4 days. I'll rack into kegs and get some gas on it. In the past, I've just cranked the pressure up to 30 psi, with light shaking a couple times a day and in about three days it's carbonated. Anybody doing something different?

Eastside

Back