any nj growers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrangler

Reaction score
howdy - getting ready to place an order for a few rhizomes and wondering if any other nj folks have had luck (good or bad) with certain types?

i'm considering ordering some cascades, centennials, possibly magnums, and open to suggestions.

thanks!
-bill

currently fermenting my 4th batch of brew, a true brew all-malt porter. finished my last irish stout 22oz a couple of nights ago.

we're planning to try growing some cascades and cententials. just waiting for the LHBS to get the rhizomes. where abouts in NJ are you? i'm down south near Cherry Hill (exit 4 - if we are using proper Jersey notation).

we're in bergen county, small sunny yard. have grown some nice tomatoes and peppers before and figure the garden could use some hops as well. thinking about planting 10 rhizomes, but 2 of 5 types, or 5 of 2 types? decisions, decisions....

cd2448 said:
we're planning to try growing some cascades and cententials. just waiting for the LHBS to get the rhizomes. where abouts in NJ are you? i'm down south near Cherry Hill (exit 4 - if we are using proper Jersey notation).
Welcome!!

I'm originally from Camden. I also worked at Ft Dix for a number of years and lived in Browns Mills and Mt Holly. I still have relatives in Haddonfield, Pennsauken, Cherry Hill, Mantua, etc.

I'm from Butler now- (Montclair for the past 20+ years). I just got my rhizomes from the Thyme Garden- 2 cascade, 2 fuggle, 2 williamette (SP, I know) and 2 Mt. Hood. I've got more coming from Midwest Supplies. I'll be planting them in Butler, Montclair and Bloomfield. I guess it's really gonna be Next year when we see how well they actually do.
Of course, this does not really answer your question, but I thought I'd let you know that your not alone.

my brother lives in galloway (near atlantic city) and has a few kent goldings plants that don't seem to do so well-small cones, wilted leaves, etc... At least not compared to my cascade, chinook and KG plants. But then again I live in the willamette valley:cool:

I live in Atlantic County (South Jersey). A friend of mine in the area grows Cascade with great success. I have a shipment of about 5 varieties coming for this year. Will post my success / failure at the end of the growing season. Hope this helps.

bulge1944
:eek:

I went to high school in Ramsey.

Plant 5 types. That raises the odds on one or more doing well.

Back