Lager style but ale fermented

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudybrew

Reaction score
Has anyone done a light coloured, body and abv beer such that resembles a regular lager but instead of going all the troubles of lager fermentation just done it with a high attenuating ale yeast, keeping esters low and maturing it for a couple of weeks at 0*C???
If yes, has the result turn out to be something you´d confuse it with a traditional lager?
I just want to make a light beer that tastes like a lager, kegged for summer parties that doesnt take that long to be ready, and also because I dont have equipment enough for all the lagering stage, and where I live is pretty hot.

I have done a wit beer that was dry, low body and abv that could easily be a lager type beer, if you didnt consider the wheat and spices in the flavor/aroma.

Just wondering.

Cheers

Look into Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer recipe and BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops recipe. I made the Cream of Three Crops, but I added hatch chiles to it, so I can't speak to the unmodified beer, but it's nicely crisp and refreshing (with a nice bite from the chiles).

Check out "cream of three crops" ale. It's a nice light bodied beer and I'm sure you could lager it to make it even more crisp. You can check out the thread and see how much success people have had with it

excelent guys... thank you...
so i guess what I tried to describe was the cream ale... right?
sorry, I am foreigner and have never come across a cream ale...
is there such a thing like a highly hoped cream ale though?

cheers

i'm not sure what kind of yeast you can get in brazil, but see if you can find some kolsch or altbier yeast. these ale yeasts have been bred to ferment cool and produce a clean, low-ester beer.

@sweetcell... mmm interesting... will check that out...
I was originally thinking of using a US-05 dry yeast, since this are pretty easy to get here and gives a clean and crisp flavor... but maybe not so much of a low ferm temp...
what do you think?

kolsch and altbier yeast are only available as liquid yeasts, as far as i know, and i'm told that liquid yeast isn't very common in brazil so that might complicate things...

there are numerous threads about fermenting US-05 cool (60 or below). do a search using the google search box (don't use the default search box, it's useless).

kolsch and altbier yeast are only available as liquid yeasts, as far as i know, and i'm told that liquid yeast isn't very common in brazil so that might complicate things...

there are numerous threads about fermenting US-05 cool (60 or below). do a search using the google search box (don't use the default search box, it's useless).

I have heard Jamil say something about going to a brewery (Sierra Nevada I think) and seeing them fermenting a beer at 55 degrees and it really tasting like a lager, he turned the card on the tank around and saw they were using their ale yeast

There are a few of us experimenting with "pseudo lagers",ales that look & taste like lagers. I'm on the 2nd version of a recipe I'm trying to perfect. It's nearly done fermenting now. If this version pans out,I'll post it...

I have to check FG on both batches tomorrow. Wanna get at least one bottled in the next couple days. gotta wash the yeast from both for new batches. I'll post something on bottling day(s). One batch is light colored,the other dark. Both with WL029 yeast. It will indeed be interesting to see how well the German yeast holds up to it's claims.

Back