not added enough brewing sugar to my cider kit, been fermenting 4 days. what do i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogden25uk

Reaction score
i started a home brew(forest fruits-wilkinsons branded) cider kit about four days ago. i added 1kg of brewing sugar to this and topped up to the required level of water. however today i've read the instructions again and noticed it said 1.5kg of sugar. i wasnt sure what to do so i measured an extra 500g of sugar, melted dissolved in a little hot water and added back to my mix for a couple more days. will this help or make matters worse? any opinions or help on this would be appreciated. thanks

As "me" stated ;) you'll be fine. Even if you hadn't added it you would have been fine. The simple sugars only increase the alcohol levels. You might have ended up with 6% instead of 7% (or something like that) The flavors are mostly going to come from the kit ingredients which I assume are a concentrate.

You might need a new direction with fermentation. You're not out of the woods yet.

Adding sugar late in the fermentation will just create more fermentation. I don't understand your statement.

I could go dump a pound of sugar in my cider right now and it will just kick back in and make more alcohol, it won't cause any problems. Well, it might take a little longer for it to mellow out the higher ABV, but I can't think of any other issues it would cause.

Just give it a few more days to finish off the sugars you added and you'll be fine.

so you reckon another 3 days and it will be ok to bottle? also would i be able to add fruit juices to my mix to alter the flavours again. thinking of adding some cranberry juice to my brew to make it more of a cranberry flavoured cider. would this work, and how / what stage would i do this?

I'm wrong but you suggested he wait a few extra days. Hmmm

I never said you were wrong, I said I didn't understand your statement. When you wrote they 'needed a new direction' did you mean wait a few more days? If so, then my apologies. I didn't mean to be redundant.

Your totally fine Ogden..... As Pepper said your just bumping the fermentable sugar back up...
You need to test with a hydrometer in 4 or 5 days...

Back