First home brew - switching buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohshot

Reaction score
Me and a friend just got true brew beer equipment kit and picked up a pale ale ingredient kit aswell. Seems to be going along nice although not really sure what I'm doing. Here's some pics!

image-2527540436.jpg

image-3944169093.jpg

How does this look so far?

Well, we are using our secondary bucket as a bottling bucket. Just gonna let it sit for a few days. Had a taste and it takes like flat uncarbonated beer.

Well, we are using our secondary bucket as a bottling bucket. Just gonna let it sit for a few days. Had a taste and it takes like flat uncarbonated beer.

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are using the bottling bucket for a secondary, it will be difficult to mix in the priming sugar without aerating your beer which you don't want to do. If you have already added the priming sugar the yeast will have it all gone in a couple days and you will have flat beer in your bottles.

RM-MN said:
I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are using the bottling bucket for a secondary, it will be difficult to mix in the priming sugar without aerating your beer which you don't want to do. If you have already added the priming sugar the yeast will have it all gone in a couple days and you will have flat beer in your bottles.

Hmmm. So do I switch it back to my primary bucket to add the sugar? And then just siphon it back to the bottling bucket?
Sorry, read the kits instructions and got a little confused.

Hmmm. So do I switch it back to my primary bucket to add the sugar? And then just siphon it back to the bottling bucket?
Sorry, read the kits instructions and got a little confused.

You don't want to risk aerating the beer, but you are probably going to have to do something like that to mix in the priming sugar.

I don't use a "secondary" very often but if you do, make sure you use a carboy, or something without the wide headspace of a bucket. Once fermentation ends, you want to prevent oxygen from contacting the beer as much as possible. Normally, you rack the beer into the bottling bucket only when you are going to bottle the beer

No. If your plan is to bottle the beer then you do the priming sugar thing in the bottling bucket and immediately thereafter bottle the beer.

Generally you put some of the beer into the bottling bucket, maybe a gallon or so, then add the priming sugar solution and add the rest of the beer. Some say that is adequate mixing by addition of the remaining beer. Some say to GENTLY stir a few times (avoiding any splashing and aeration) after the priming is added for more consistent bottle-to-bottle carbonation.

You could simply let it finish secondary where it is and try the priming tabs that your LHBS should have (or get them online). I've never used them, but I know people who swear by them. You simply add them to the bottle before you put in the beer and then cap. I agree with Yooper about using a carboy for secondary. Unlike him, though, all of my beers go on secondary for at least a week--personal choice. Your next investment should be a five gallon carboy. When you do, get an auto-siphon too.

Alright thanks for everyone's replies. Taking this as a learning process as its my first time. But what I'm planning to do is siphon the beer back into my primary fermenting bucket just for storage. Then add the first gallon of beer then add the priming sugar and finish off adding the beer. I would try the tabs but the budget on this starting kit is starting to take its toll.

Just be carefull while racking with a tube into the bottom of the bucket being racked into to prevent any aeration. Don't let it sit in a bucket as secondary too long with a lot of head space. I got lucky once doing as you did-using the bottling bucket as secondary to oak some dark ale. It worked out fine,but next time I think I'll get some 5 & 6 gallon better bottles for 5 & 6 gallon brews to secondary in. Less head space is desired,since no co2 is being produced after fermentation is done.

Alright thanks for everyone's replies. Taking this as a learning process as its my first time. But what I'm planning to do is siphon the beer back into my primary fermenting bucket just for storage. Then add the first gallon of beer then add the priming sugar and finish off adding the beer. I would try the tabs but the budget on this starting kit is starting to take its toll.

Leave the beer where it is for now. Every time you move it you have a chance of oxidation or contamination. Go get the priming tabs and get this beer done the best you can. A 5 gallon batch of beer that is good should be worth more than $3.00 a bottle (check the price at the local watering hole, can you get good beer for $3?) so your finished batch of about 50 bottles is worth??? don't screw it up for the price of the priming tabs.

In your shoes, I'd probably rack back onto some priming solution. Sure, you don't want to oxidize it, but most of my beers have been racked twice without a problem (the others were only racked once). If you have the priming tabs already, go that route, but I don't think it's necessary to go far out of your way to avoid an extra racking.

Back