It is going to happen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaley

Reaction score
I'm joining the army, I'm going to meps to physical today, and Tuesday sign my contract then I leave for training nov 19 2012 for fort benning Georgia. My mos is 91M- Bradley fighting vehicle system maintainer. So I get to learn all about tanks, and how to fix them :) active duty here I come.

Best of luck. The Army was one of the best decisions I ever made.

The marines saved my life. I'm certain of it. I was a rolling stone.

Good for you ahaley. Be a hard charger, do everything well plus a bit, and avoid the sh1tbirds and you'll find the military can change your life in ways you never expected. And try to be positive. In a world of negatives, the optimists rise to the top.

Thanks for the support guys, I'm sure I will have plenty of challenges and trials to face but hopefully letters from home will help me while I'm on the other side of the us, I'm in California with my wife and baby and Georgia is pretty far for our relationship to be tested. But like you guys said keep positive and do my best! The biggest thing I'm not looking forward to is missing my daughters first Christmas :( but we will get through this and who knows, maybe my wife will keep the brew gear going ;)

Ahaley,

Congrats on your decision! Choosing to serve your country is admirable. I think you'll find you'll get out of the Army as much as you put in to it. And as Passedpawn advised stay away from the Sh1tbirds. There will be some but they are not the majority, just seem to have the biggest mouths.

Best of luck. Whether you stay in for a career or a few years it's an honorable committment.

Congrats on your decision. I was a 19D (cavalry scout) for 13 years before I got out. The Army was the best choice that I ever made, bar none, I miss it quite frequently. Just remember, basic training is 90 percent mental. The physical part is easy once you can convince yourself that you can do it.

jerryteague said:
Congrats on your decision. I was a 19D (cavalry scout) for 13 years before I got out. The Army was the best choice that I ever made, bar none, I miss it quite frequently. Just remember, basic training is 90 percent mental. The physical part is easy once you can convince yourself that you can do it.

Nice, I had a lot of mos' I wanted but they were full :/ and once I get passed that mental block is basic I'm sure I'll be good. And as long as I do my job and do it well I'll stay out of trouble I hope! I am also conflicted between living on base or off base if they give me the option...

Here is some VERY important information that you need to know.

The 4 most dangerous weapon systems the US Army possess:
1. A Private with a toolbox.
2. A Sergeant with a clipboard.
3. A Second Lieutenant with a map and compass.
4. A Warren Officer with an idea.

Thanks for your service. I was 45B-small arms weapon repair until that MOS got merged/phased out.

Zamial said:
Here is some VERY important information that you need to know.

The 4 most dangerous weapon systems the US Army possess:
1. A Private with a toolbox.
2. A Sergeant with a clipboard.
3. A Second Lieutenant with a map and compass.
4. A Warren Officer with an idea.

Thanks for your service. I was 45B-small arms weapon repair until that MOS got merged/phased out.

That was the mos I was looking for! And they said it was full :/

Congrats and thank you for your service. 4 years Navy as an AME, aircraft mechanic, egress and 6 years Army as an 88M, truck driver. Best years of my life and made me who I am today. Keep your head up and smile behind your eyes when your drill sargents are chewing on your a$$. I hated boot camp at the time but would like to do it again.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys it means a lot to know that I have some support outside of family amongst fellow brewers

I'm in the Navy myself, but the basics are the same. Show up on time and in the right uniform, and the rest is easy. The **** that seems awful at the time, you'll be laughing about the next day.

Ya no doubt, and I get to haggle for my mos today! I guess the 91M reservation closed down so now I'm going to try to get something else along those lines. I'm going to push for helicopter mechanic though :)

Cool. I'm in the aviation maintenance field as well. Only difference is I fly them and fix them. Maybe they have an aircrew thing available like crew chief for helos

Awesome, today at MEPS was boring as usual, but I got out of there around 130 when my recruiter showed up. The job I got is 15T, blackhawk mechanic. Everyone after I tell them that they say that I will most likely be flying also because I will need to test the helo I just fixed? That would be pretty cool but for some reason I don't see that happeneing any time soon... But either way, I got a cool job, now I pt with my station until 20130114!

Back