Moldy Beer - can't find the solution elsewhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighGravity

Reaction score
I read a lot here on HBT that you should just give it time, but not really specific ideas. I too have my first long-term moldy batch, the other batches have had white mold appear but this is a bit of a longer problem.

I made an IPA one month ago in an open fermentor, transferred it to a carboy after a week and its been sitting in there ever since. BC I was out of town I didnt have time to clean my primary buckets, but simply stacked them in the same closet as the carboys without cleaning the hops/junk at the bottom of the fermentor....I could smell it reeking for the last two weeks, but I forgot that my IPA carboy had a wrong sized bung over it. I had stretched a plastic bag (formerly whole hop bag) over the top and made a small hole in the centre, then simply sat the too big bung complete w/airlock over that.

Anyways the mold is holding steady at about a 1-2 inch wide ring where the top of the wort sits and I would like to bottle. Can someone suggest if I should go out and buy a proper bung and let it sit 2 months, should I bottle it TODAY - in 1 hour and just try to avoid the mold part (and let it sit in bottles for 2 months)? I've heard both advice, or even to reboil your wort and start from scratch again....can't figure which is the best course of action.

It smells normal but I haven't tasted it bc I figured it had enough exposure to air and bacteria at this point.

Use a racking cane and move it to a bottling bucket trying to avoid the mold (if it is mold). If it tastes good bottle it. I can't imagine a moldy tasting beer will improve with age. When people talk about time correcting off flavors, I believe they are discussing yeast by-products (astringency, fusels, acetalahyde, etc.), not contaminations.

With your brewing process and lack of closed sanitary vessels, maybe you should just call the thing a Lambic ;)

Back