BUD Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westminster Brew

Reaction score
Looking for a BUD clone, trying to convert the wife to real beer and figured the best way is to make a real BUD. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Most of the online mailorder places have bud clone recipes. It comes with rice syrup to keep it light. However, Bud is a lager and you're probably not quite ready for that if you're a new brewer. You could try a light american ale and go light on the bittering hops.

I was going to suggest mixing urine with water and carbonating it, but a kit will work too. ;)

All kidding aside, though, a lager will be tough unless you've got the equipment. Try something malty (something doesn't have a large hop bill) and see how she likes that.

I have always had good luck introducing women to microbrews with a heffy. My last GF could not get enough of my heffy with a little bit of apricot added. Which reminds me, try a fruit beer as well. They seem to love that stuff.

I'd try an American cream ale recipe. Those tend to be somewhat in the Bud range, low gravity, low hops, but don't require that you lager.

old reliable when it comes to this topic:

7lbs Golden Promise

1/2 oz Fuggles 60
1 oz Fuggles 0

keep IBUs around 11-12

Of all the things to clone...why in god's name would you waste your time with pissweiser? That's like building a fully-outfitted professional kitchen just to cook McDonalds hamburgers. Save yourself the trouble...go down to the 7-11, buy a 12-pack for whatever it costs, probably $2...and then go home and brew something that is actually worth brewing.

Or you could just carbonate and bottle some tap water, put a tiny amount of yellow food coloring in it, and nobody'll ever know the difference.

the_bird said:
I'd try an American cream ale recipe. Those tend to be somewhat in the Bud range, low gravity, low hops, but don't require that you lager.

I'll second that motion. I've given this to several BMC drinkers and it was a hit. It's a nice transition brew.

anthrobe said:
I have always had good luck introducing women to microbrews with a heffy. My last GF could not get enough of my heffy with a little bit of apricot added. Which reminds me, try a fruit beer as well. They seem to love that stuff.

:off:

My wife had an Apricot Weiss she loved at a brewfest.
Could you tell me how you did yours? Real apricot or some type of extract?

I live one mile from the Bud Plant in Merrimack NH. I'll tell ya, from the store it tastes like piss in a bottle(worse in a can) but is great on tap at the brewery!

TWolf10 said:

My wife had an Apricot Weiss she loved at a brewfest.
Could you tell me how you did yours? Real apricot or some type of extract?

I prefer to use real apricot or puree. She prefered the extract.

Here is the recipe

3lb Muntons Wheat DME
German Hallertau Pellets 3.2%AA
Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat Yeast
4.0z Apricot Extract in secondary

Evan! said:
Of all the things to clone...why in god's name would you waste your time with pissweiser?...
I know what you mean. I haven't had a Bud since 1975, but Budvar is NOTHING like American Buttwiper!

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have been to the town of Budweis in the Czech Republic several times -- that's right, I drove 4 hours to have a REAL BUD!!! (Of course, I made weekends out of the trip).

Not only that, 1 half liter of the ORIGINAL only cost $0.53 a glass in the gasthaus - that includes service and tax!

If you follow the Budvar recipe you'll be happy you did.:D ;)

I'm very tempted to try the Budvar recipe, myself. A lot of my friends swear by their BMC, so it might be fun to give them a little history lesson on tap.

Good luck with your wife - mine isn't much of a beer drinker, and I doubt she'll ever be, no matter how much I try to sway her opinion.

homebrewer_99 said:
Not only that, 1 half liter of the ORIGINAL only cost $0.53 a glass in the gasthaus - that includes service and tax!

The price has gone up since you were there! I was just there in October and the price is now almost $1 for a half liter. Damn inflation!

Really liked both Budvar and Staropramen!

dantodd said:
The price has gone up since you were there! I was just there in October and the price is now almost $1 for a half liter. Damn inflation!

Really liked both Budvar and Staropramen!
It's only been less than 3 years ago, but I think it depends on which gasthaus you go to also.;)

If you drink it in Prague the price is double that.

The dollar is a LOT weaker relative to the Euro than it was three years ago, so when you translate back into dollar terms, it's a lot more expensive. The Euro conversion was a while ago, probably seven or eight years.

the_bird said:
The dollar is a LOT weaker relative to the Euro than it was three years ago, so when you translate back into dollar terms, it's a lot more expensive. The Euro conversion was a while ago, probably seven or eight years.
It's only 6 cents difference.:D That's not bad. I've seen worse when it was DMs (Deutsche Mark).

the_bird said:

The Euro was created in 1998, but E-day was Jan 1, 2002. Not every country in the European Union is on the Euro.

Any idea when the UK is going to drop the shenannigans with the pound and go Euro?

I'm waiting for the NorthAmero. No more getting turned down at vending machines because of stupid Canadian quarters. No offense, Cannuks, but it's almost an illicit thrill to pass off one of those albatrosses that are so ubiquitous in American pockets and purses.

Now, I'm all for making the Looney the currency of choice. I just like the Looney and the Twonie. They're fun to say.

I have found that brewing beer in a effort to "convert" people is futile. People like what they like and if all they ever want is Bud, then that's okay. Brew what YOU like, if other people like it too, great. If not, f**k 'em.

Cheesefood said:
Now, I'm all for making the Looney the currency of choice. I just like the Looney and the Twonie. They're fun to say.

Yeah...We Canadians sure have some screwed up monopoly money.....Purple and green and blue.......Freak show of cash.

They talked about going with a $5 coin a while back.....Soon we'll be walking abour with the change holsters you see waitresses wear....

IGOR

It has been my experience that most American domestic beer drinkers often get to the point where "They can drink this, I guess" when it comes to feudal attempts for home brewers to try to impress them with a "gateway" beer. They still would prefer their usual brand when it is all said and done. Don't waste your time. Let them buy their own. :)

Cheesefood said:
The Euro was created in 1998, but E-day was Jan 1, 2002. Not every country in the European Union is on the Euro.

Any idea when the UK is going to drop the shenannigans with the pound and go Euro?

I'm waiting for the NorthAmero. No more getting turned down at vending machines because of stupid Canadian quarters. No offense, Cannuks, but it's almost an illicit thrill to pass off one of those albatrosses that are so ubiquitous in American pockets and purses.

Split the difference, that's five years. Haven't heard anything about the Brits and the pound, certainly doesn't seem to be any movement to do so. Now, if the Eurozone economies were growing at a higher clip, you might see more pressure on them to change, but I'd be shocked to see the Brits make the move for a long while.

Since this topic has mentioned cream ale several times, i have a question?
Has anyone ever added belgian candi sugar to a cream ale to boost tha ABV?
Would it work?
And how much would you add?:drunk:

I like a cream ale on occassion, but after IPA's and Stouts they are a little weak.

Cheesefood said:

True, there is a great difference when you compare the current price of the Euro to when it came out...I was living in Germany at the time.

I wish I had converted $50K then. It was 1.20 Euro for a $1. Now it's $1 for .77 Euro cents. Would have been over $20K profit!

As for waiting for the NorthAmero...it's coming. Bush, the Canadian PM, and Presidente Fox have already signed the doc for the genesis of the North American Union WITHOUT the approval of Congress. This is totally illegal unless you are a dictator.:mad: Bush has made our Constitution totally worthless. They signed up for 1 NA Union, 1 currency, and 1 language. My money is on Espanol...:( There are current plans to build a super highway from the Mexican port where trucks pick up goods from China and ship them all the way to Canada. The first stop in the US? Kansas City. They don't even have to stop at the border.:mad:

If you don't have a lagering setup there is one strain of lager yeast that ferments at higher temperatures. California Lager yeast. I can't remember what number it is but I have used it once on a corona clone. The one I used was by WYeast. *shrug* get her HOOKED!!!! just keep the IBUs WAY DOWN for a few batches. Pump the ABV up too... >=) I'll agree with everyone so far. Fruity and light. Then SLOWLY get darker and more bitter and hoppier. Go slow. I know when I started brewing I liked Full Sail Appricot Hefe & Killian's Irish Red... I don't really dig either anymore. If the beer dosn't have 50 IBU's or a nice hoppy bouquet I don't enjoy it very much. That took time. So don't rush her, and... GOOD LUCK!!! she's showing interest so half your job is done already!!!:ban: :mug: :tank: :drunk:

I am now working on a conversion...hahaha. I am finding that lambics rasberry is doing good. She started there a few months ago and now is on to Heffys (no pun intended from earlier post) and actually enjoyed a APA last night...hmmm. I might have to do this for a living. Anyone want to hire me:D

homebrewer_99 said:
As for waiting for the NorthAmero...it's coming. Bush, the Canadian PM, and Presidente Fox have already signed the doc for the genesis of the North American Union WITHOUT the approval of Congress. This is totally illegal unless you are a dictator.:mad: Bush has made our Constitution totally worthless. They signed up for 1 NA Union, 1 currency, and 1 language. My money is on Espanol...:( There are current plans to build a super highway from the Mexican port where trucks pick up goods from China and ship them all the way to Canada. The first stop in the US? Kansas City. They don't even have to stop at the border.:mad:

Bill, I hope this is a joke. If not, please post the source. I'd like to find out more about this.

Pirate Ale said:
Since this topic has mentioned cream ale several times, i have a question?
Has anyone ever added belgian candi sugar to a cream ale to boost tha ABV?
Would it work?
And how much would you add?:drunk:

I like a cream ale on occassion, but after IPA's and Stouts they are a little weak.

I added a pound of corn sugar and mine turned out grrrreat. ;)

Back