Seeking advice on Avery IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prickle

Reaction score
Can't seem to find a definitive clone recipe for this brew. I put this together in Beer Alchemy by cross referencing the Avery site with a thread on the Northern Brewer forum (a user there had formulated his recipe with some feedback from the brewery, but according to Avery's website they don't use Simcoe or Crystal hops anymore). So how does this look?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1028 (1L starter)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Boil size: 6.5
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 68
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68 F
Secondary Fermentation: 14 @ 68

Fermentables (calculated for 80% efficiency)
Ingredient Amount %
US 2-Row Malt 10.7 lbs 92.3%
US Munich 10L Malt .7 lbs 6%
US Caramel 120L Malt .19 lbs 1.9%

Single infusion mash @ 153F for 60 min.

Hops
.78 oz Chinook (11.5) 60 min.
.52 oz Columbus (12.2) 60 min.
.83 oz Cascade (7.1) 15 min
.83 oz Centennial (9.1) 15 min
.50 oz Cascade dry hop (2 weeks)
.50 oz Centennial dry hop (2 weeks)

I'm mostly unsure about the hop schedule. I just fiddled with the numbers in Beer Alchemy until I got close to 69 IBUs (per Avery's site). Thoughts?

This should help, straight from Adam Avery himself. They handed out a recipe sheet at a society for the pursuit of hoppiness meeting a while back at Avery.
Avery IPA
OG: 1.058; AE: 1.009
Grist: Pale 2 Row - 90%
Munich - 4%
C-120 2%
Hops - for 5 gallons
60 min - Columbus (13.9% AA) - .24 oz
30 min - Columbus (13.9% AA) - .27 oz
0 min - Cascade (6.9% AA) - 1.64 oz
0 min - Centennial (9/5% AA) - 1.64 oz
0 min - Chinook (11.4% AA) - 0.68 oz

Yeast - California
Ferm Temp - 74F

Thank you! Folks on the NB forum were adamant about Avery's use of 1028, but California it is.

Also, when I put those hop numbers into Beer Alchemy, I get 21 IBUs. Does that huge knockout addition make up the difference?

Yeah, i'm skeptical also. I'v heard of hop bursting, which is just a bunch of late additions to make up the ibu's but with such little bittering additions and the rest at 0min... i just don't know...

I don't mean to question KellyK's post, but being a novice homebrewer, I'm a little nervous to try hopping an IPA like that. Think maybe I'll try to get 40-50 IBUs via Columbus, 15-25 from Cascade & Centennial, and then Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook at flameout.

No offense taken, I thought the recipe looked a little odd myself in terms of the amount of the hop additions, but it is directly from a handout passed out at the brewery during a Society for the Pursuit of Hoppiness meeting. I have never used it, nor did I run the calculations through on BeerSmith. Take it for what you will, and let me know how it turns out.

One of the things to remember is that most craft brewers do their 0 minute addition as a whirlpool addition. If you listen to the Can You Brew It show on the Brewing Network, Jamil always talks about the fact that these whirlpool additions on a homebrewer scale are much more like a 10 minute addition. I don't have BeerSmith in front of me, but I suspect if you add 4 oz of hops as a 10 minute addition, you'll get a good level of IBUs for an IPA.

+1 to mkling. I believe they were trying to clone the Fish Alt and they moved the brewery's flameout addition to 20 minutes to compensate for cooling time differences.

The other odd thing is the Grist Makeup

90% + 4% + 2% = 96%

I wonder what the other 4% of secret ingredients are?

That was MY typo. It's 94% + 4% + 2% on the sheet. Sorry, typing too quickly. But the hop numbers are correct, I just checked them again.

To add to what mkling suggested earlier...That recipe with the flameout additions adjusted to 10 minutes puts the IBU right around 68 using beersmith with the tinseth formula.

Thanks for the input everyone. I feel a bit more confident trying this out now. Probably brew this weekend.

Somewhat related:

I have been trying to come up with a Hog Heaven clone. My first inclination is to use Cal Ale yeast for it. I think they used Cal Ale for IPA and Maharaja, so why not Hog Heaven? That is just my guess. Anyone else venture to guess?

Eric

Back