Too cold for Bohemian 2124?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Too damned cold around here. Just brewed up a lager yesterday and my garage is down to about 44F. Was hoping for 50-52F. Anyone ever primary this yeast at this temp?

The Wyeast site rates it at 48-58F. I just used this yeast on my first lager 1 week ago and it seemed to either ferment very fast without me noticing or stop fermenting all together when I brought the ambient temp down to about 50F. I plan to take a gravity reading sometime this week, seeing as that's the only real way to tell, but I am a little concerned. I look forward to further input on this yeast from more experienced lager brewers.

I too am conducting the "2124 experiment" with a lager (bock). Initally set the controller temp in the lager fridge to 48' (wanted to ferment at the low temp end) but it went as low as 44 at times. There was some activity for about 3-4 days then it stopped. I have been able to hold 49-50' for a while now. Interesting smells with this yeast. The sulphur was there initially but now it is kind of a fruity/sweet smell but not what I would call plesant. I am at 10 days with this one and at 12-14 I am going to give it a D rest for about 72 hours then transfer and lager for about 4 weeks. I will take a reading after I transfer to see where I am at.

Back