Bass Ale Keg/ Micro Matic Keg - How do you get the spear out???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillAdams

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to get the Spear out of a Micro matic/Grundy Bass ale keg.
I tried pushing the black ring down and turning the middle with a pair of pliers but got nowhere.
suggestions?

OK this is easier than you think. follow these steps and if you get lost or if something doesn't work email me at [email protected]

1. turn the keg on its side and press the black ring on the top down with something like a screwdriver or something. this releases the pressure.
2. If there is a plastic ring around the neck of the keg just under the 3 sided spear top, tear it off and look for the holes that are at the top of the neck.
3. OK here is the tricky part. on the neck there are two dimples on the neck, one lower then the other. look at the higher one. you will see two holes or slits above it. one to the left and one to the right. take two flathead screwdrivers and push in with the tips of the screwdrivers at the same time. You may need to get two stubby screwdrivers to get the right angle. but while pushing both in use your third hand and pull up on the spear. it will go up about 1 in
4. turn the spear counter clockwise and pull up at the same time.. it will have two levels of turns (the two dimples on the inside)

Ok you have the spear out now so clean that baby and brew about 13 gallons of your favorite brew.

Hope this helps.

OK this is easier than you think. follow these steps and if you get lost or if something doesn't work email me at [email protected]

1. turn the keg on its side and press the black ring on the top down with something like a screwdriver or something. this releases the pressure.
2. If there is a plastic ring around the neck of the keg just under the 3 sided spear top, tear it off and look for the holes that are at the top of the neck.
3. OK here is the tricky part. on the neck there are two dimples on the neck, one lower then the other. look at the higher one. you will see two holes or slits above it. one to the left and one to the right. take two flathead screwdrivers and push in with the tips of the screwdrivers at the same time. You may need to get two stubby screwdrivers to get the right angle. but while pushing both in use your third hand and pull up on the spear. it will go up about 1 in
4. turn the spear counter clockwise and pull up at the same time.. it will have two levels of turns (the two dimples on the inside)

Ok you have the spear out now so clean that baby and brew about 13 gallons of your favorite brew.

Hope this helps.

And now... how do you put it back...?
I want to use Grundy / G-system kegs for keg conditioning & dispensing

Back