Hybrid dry hoping with randall or hopinator......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martymoat

Reaction score
This question is somewhat specific but maybe someone has tried using a similar set up.

I ferment in 5 gallon corny kegs so after the beer is done fermentation i am thinking of installing the randall after the beer and before the receiving keg allowing all the beer to pass through the same amount of hops i would have used in the dry hopping phase after fermentation.

Now from the get go i figure that the amount of hops to beer contact from keg to keg would hardly be enough to pick up any significant hop aroma from the randall like that of a beer that has been dry hopped. But at the same time i know that when i use a randall on beer from keg to glass what i get is a slam of good hop aroma that to me is almost double that of a dry hopped beer that may have not even been dry hopped to begin with and it is the same amount of contact time as would be in transferring between kegs. So this is where my head starts to spin.

So what do you think.

Randalls pickup the very low volatility hop oils, which is why they work so well when dispensing. What you are proposing would be ok if you then force carbonate and put the beer on tap immediately.

@david_42: Did you mean High Volatility Hop Oils?

One benefit of this method is that the hops could then be used as bittering hops in a subsequent brew (assumed same day).

Back