So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting everything set up for the next incarnation of my house blonde. God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be brewing first thing in the morning. :D

Brewed yesterday... got a bit too smacked doing it, got confused with hop timing... now I don't dare to ferment the outcome... lucky I have enough everything for a re-run today, with possibly a little less brewing beer :D at least I now know my boiling loss, that the ring burner can boil so much water and a few other things.

Brewing up a batch of BM's famous Centennial Blonde to add to the batch of Irish Red that I brewed last Saturday. Both being made for a friend's 40th Birthday party! CB is a crowd pleaser and a favorite of mine as well, so I have a great time brewing it. If I were ever to step up to 10 gal batches, that recipe would be the reason why!

Brewing...

20170211_095747.jpg

20170211_095454.jpg

y7XX.jpg

Welcome to the Oddball Garage Makeshift brewery :D

Ring burner is sitting over an inch of water for a safety barrier to catch boilovers as well as to control the fire hazard.

y7X1.jpg

y7X3.jpg

Lower the kettle on the tiles, dump a shovel full of snow to the far side, fill to the brim. Takes no time to cool the wort ;)

y7Xn.jpg

Storage/bottle conditioning space/fermenting facility in the back room.

Planning on brewing today if my grains show up. Boulevard grainstack black rye IPA. Or at least similar.

Edit: turned out be just a ryePA. Shop did not have midnight wheat. Same thing in the end I think, just not black?

15G of LoDO Helles tomorrow. Yeast is cold crashing, grain is weighed out. RO water is being made right now. Serving kegs are cleaned and water purged. Fermenting kegs are cleaned.

I never brew on Sunday but earlier this week i spotted an opportunity forming so i took it!

I just bottled 3.5 gallons of English bitter, and I'm about to rack 3 gallons of Niagara grape wine. It's also probably closer to 3.5 gallons, but I'll drink the extra.

Still figuring out what to actually brew next weekend. (my goal for 2017 is to brew every 3 weeks) Probably a German ale, something in-between an altbier and kolsch. A German pale ale.

Might do 2 5G batches. Kiwi express today with Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Wakatu hops. If we can dig right back in tomorrow it will be Dunkelweizen.

Brewed an imperial stout today, aiming for as high a gravity as we can with our equipment, looks like we got to around 11%. With 3 pounds of roasted malts (roasted barley, chocolate, and black patent) it is dark as a moonless night and the wort tastes burnt and bitter (from copious columbus addition), just what we wanted! Letting it cool outside overnight and pitching tons of yeast tomorrow.

Tomorrow going to brew an ipa that we are going to throw all of the 2015 hops still in my freezer at...mosaic, simcoe, citra, columbus, el dorado and maybe a hop shot for bittering.

Planning on brewing today if my grains show up. Boulevard grainstack black rye IPA. Or at least similar.

Edit: turned out be just a ryePA. Shop did not have midnight wheat. Same thing in the end I think, just not black?

You can add the midnight wheat later in the process.

Got an apa going now. Cascade and sterling. Tweaked the grain bill this time. Last time the keg went too fast when I had some friends over.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486926795.863085.jpg

Photo was taken before a bee went kamikaze into my boiling wort immediately after the hot break. I should make a post now "HELP! Bee in my wort". Got the poor bastard out with my strainer. What a way to die boiling to death in soon to be beer. RIP honeybee.

musta smelled great. lol
Did a 10 gal Chocolate Stout. Jeez it looked and smelled awesome. Its dark!

Brewed yesterday... got a bit too smacked doing it, got confused with hop timing... now I don't dare to ferment the outcome... lucky I have enough everything for a re-run today, with possibly a little less brewing beer :D at least I now know my boiling loss, that the ring burner can boil so much water and a few other things.

Aaannnndd this is why I don't drink while I brew. Well not until chilling at least. I don't have the time to re-do an eff-up like this.

But that said, I would still ferment it. What's a packet of yeast at this point?

Did a caramel amber ale last night. Gave a friend an intro to brewing session.

It was brewing Sunday for me... at 5 AM, by request of the partner in crime, don't know but I'm suspecting it is related to SWMBO.

On the one hand, it feels nice not to finish at 1:00 AM having to work the next day; on the other, it seriously messed up my sleep cycle. Took a coffee cup to "keep things going" and now I'm tired but wide awake :mad: !

I'll take a few days to pass final judgement on it.

About the beer, it was a stout where I got the malts swapped when grinding them and ended having 0,5 lb of chocolate malt and no roasted barley. Still got the black color but don't know how it will taste. We freaked out a little when BG was 1.032 but OG after boiling was 1.040 so that was relieving.

MegaBlizzard of 2017 has just started in Maine (8pm Sunday), and is predicted to continue all day tomorrow with accumulations of up to 2 feet. EVERYTHING has already cancelled for tomorrow, so what does a homebrewer do? Brew of course. Prepped the brewing liquor tonight for my Loghouse Honey Porter. Crushed the grains yesterday. I just hope we don't lose power before I'm finished. Propane burner, so that's OK, but it would suck brewing in the dark.

MegaBlizzard of 2017 has just started in Maine (8pm Sunday), and is predicted to continue all day tomorrow with accumulations of up to 2 feet. EVERYTHING has already cancelled for tomorrow, so what does a homebrewer do? Brew of course. Prepped the brewing liquor tonight for my Loghouse Honey Porter. Crushed the grains yesterday. I just hope we don't lose power before I'm finished. Propane burner, so that's OK, but it would suck brewing in the dark.

Stay safe!

Was in on the brewing of a Mango Hefe yesterday at my friend's brewery. Getting better at knowing what to do on the big toys, at least this time I wasn't in the way as much. Got the sketch of what my 3-tier system will look like when it's done in the next two weeks as well. Gotta love having brewing friends who need to clean out their sheds! Haven't brewed at home in a few weeks due to lack of cash but husband is down to let me do two 5 gallon batches this weekend. Going to do my wee heavy again, this one is a "challenge accepted" brew as my brewing buddy doesn't think I can brew it the same way twice. 1st was heaven. After that it's a tossup between Caribou Slobber and a Blonde something or other. Was contemplating doing a Cream ale but the last one I tried failed miserably.

Just add the yeast, Belgium abbey, to an orange double. I may have to add another pack the 1st one did not inflate all that well. Time will tell.

Next weekend I have a clone of zombie dust to do. Have to find the time. Also have to secondary my first attempt at wine.

Do it! FF ipas are the bomb. Me? Haven't brewed in 6 weeks. That ends this week. Bought grains/hops/puree for a Blood Orange IPA and chocolate stout material.

Oooh I love me some Blood Oranges

Say you do this FF IPA, what's the recipe if you don't mind sharing? I've been thinking of doing one of these myself sometime soon. Cheers!

I'm playing around with the idea of this. Don't know if it'll happen exactly like this as I'm just spitballing

View attachment 1487039103374.jpg

Oooh I love me some Blood Oranges

I'm playing around with the idea of this. Don't know if it'll happen exactly like this as I'm just spitballing

Yeah, my first shot. Using Lemon Drop and Manderina for hops.

You..A lot of honey malt to me, but should have some mouthfeel.

If the weather is not so good I spend the whole weekend on the golf course I'm going to have another go at trying to getmy homage to Norfolk bitter right.

Maris Otter, Crystal 40, and Carapils with East Kent Goldings, Progress, and Styrian Goldings.

Back