Where to find Pliny in SoCal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow Brewers and beer drinkers...my FIL is moving to Laguna Hills and I'd like him to send me some Pliny once he gets settled in...does anybody have any suggestions as to where he may find some in the area?

I know Russian River lists everywhere they send the beer but I'm looking to send my FIL to a location that will have it and he can send it to me with little trouble. Thanks all in advance!

:mug: :tank:

Russian River does list the locations of stores that sell "Russian River" beers. Not all stores sell Pliny. They might only sell damnation and no others. Pliny does not sit on shelf or is a weekly allocation to the stores. Most places will either hold them
In the back for their "loyal" customers or put out the 24 bottles out with a 1 bottle limit and quickly sell out. It won't be a easy score. I would start by calling the locations listed on RR site.

Call the local Bevmo and Total Wine and ask if/when they receive shipments. My son used to live in the Irvine area and he said that his local store (one of the two above) got 8 bottles on Tuesdays at 1:00 and they were one per person. They sold out immediately every week.

Whole Foods. But the beer nerd staff takes most of it and what's left is gone about 5 minutes after it arrives at the store. It's really hard to get bottles, not impossible but really hard.

Sometimes Bevmo too, but same deal.

You can get pints around town pretty easily (Blue Palms almost always has it on tap), but bottles are another story.

Call the local Bevmo and Total Wine and ask if/when they receive shipments. My son used to live in the Irvine area and he said that his local store (one of the two above) got 8 bottles on Tuesdays at 1:00 and they were one per person. They sold out immediately every week.

My chiropractor's daughter works for Total Wine and we talked about this once. She says maybe once every 2 weeks they would get a case of bottles and limit 1 bottle per customer and still sell out immediately (as in they wouldn't make it on the shelf).

In addition to the above, Pliny isn't too hard to get once you've got the timing of when and where. Here, it's always on a Thursday, and generally the 4th Thursday of the month, but sometimes the 3rd. If I'm in a Pliny mood (which I am every few months) I'll call on the 3rd Thurs. and if it's not in then, I call again on the 4th Thurs and it's usually a score.
I have also gotten in the habit of asking if RR happened to throw in anything else that month, and very, very rarely...they do. This week I came home with 2 Pliny and one Consecration (which I had to open the wallet WIDE for).
Throw a holiday in there and all bets are off.
The key is ASK!

There are a few places in south OC that get it fairly regularly.

Baycrest Liquor in Costa Mesa - follow their instagram and they will post when they get it in
OC wine mart - Aliso Viejo - have to go in and ask the counter for it
Pacific Park Market - Aliso Viejo - Have to ask guy at counter.

You'd be surprised at how many places actually get it now. I would just call around and ask.

There are a few places in south OC that get it fairly regularly.

Baycrest Liquor in Costa Mesa - follow their instagram and they will post when they get it in
OC wine mart - Aliso Viejo - have to go in and ask the counter for it
Pacific Park Market - Aliso Viejo - Have to ask guy at counter.

You'd be surprised at how many places actually get it now. I would just call around and ask.

Excellent, thank you!

Its unreal that you can get Pliny in So Cal and I can't get it one county away from it because of distribution rules!

Back